Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Guys... Back agaiin

Default Hey Guys... Back agaiin

Hi Guys,

I was on here a while back... (Like 10 years ago) and was just setting up a tank or two. Then I got into Saltwater. This was before FishBox had much going on saltwater, so I went and ended up hanging out at DFW MAS for a while. So in that time I have had my 55 gallon running with Cichlids and I also bought a 150 tall that I was running Saltwater. The saltwater tank was so much maintenance that I let the 55 gallon go away and stuck with the salt water. My wife and I was also getting so tired of the aggression with the ACs.

It was looking great and then it crashed... Twice. After the second time I was done with Saltwater. I let the tank set for a while and over this last week cleaned it up. Well mostly cleaned it up. A few more wipes with a rag on the display tank to get all the old sand out, and still need to do some work on the sump to get it ready to go again. That is mostly making sure there is no salt around it and the silicone is cut off the glass from the old dividers.

Still not wanting the aggression of the ACs so this time we are going to do a large planted community tank. I figured that a tank this size should look great with some schooling fish.

Here is what I will be working with. I do have a canopy but have it off while I am cleaning the tanks.

So as you can see this will be plenty tall for some tall \ large plants and still have room for open swimming. I have never done a planted tank before so expect me to be posting some questions over in the fresh water plant topics.

If anyone up in Frisco has some cuttings they are wanting to get rid of please let me know.

Tim Sapp
    Frisco, TX

welcome back! please keep us updated with pictures of your tank as you progress! looking forward to seeing it grow and evolve
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

Look for DFW Aquatic Plant Club meetings in the events forum--lots of friendly people and expertise on planting tanks.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

Welcome back. Saltwater got expensive for me too, And DFW Aquatic Plant Club is very welcoming, I have a new species of plant that lived (and for me that's a big deal)
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Hows the conversion going?

Slowly... I have water in the tank with some ammonia to kick off the cycle. There is sand on the bottom of the tank, rocks and some plastic plants. I also have filter floss in the sump and tomorrow when the mesh bag is delivered I will also have about 8 gallons worth of bio-balls.

I also have some drift wood soaking in a 20 gallon tank. I was happy when the big piece fit in the tank. I was worried that I did not have anything big enough to soak it in.

I am also starting a 7 gallon waterbox at work. I wanted something for my desk so I am doing it as a planted tank and want to have some shrimp and Neons.

Tim
    Last edited by TDsapp; 03-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Here is the one I am starting at my desk.

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

Welcome to the box
    Euro Red, German Red Strain 1, German Red Strain 2, Eureka Red Split Genw, Roter Kaiser, Ruby Red, Bi-Color 500, OB Blue, OB Blueberry, OB Albino Dragon Blood, OB Dragon Blood w/Albino Gene, OB Pink/Blue

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

That 7 gallon looks bigger... welcome to the Box
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    That 7 gallon looks bigger... welcome to the Box

Well they call it a 7 gallon tank but it only holds 6.8 gallons. I have a small laptop to the right of the tank and it is just taller than the laptop. I put some rocks in it today and just about overflowed my desk. My hand and the rock took up all the "spare" room in the tank.

Tomorrow I am going to drain some water out, put in my spider wood, and then re-arrange the rocks. I may also put the plants in as well.

Tim