Thread: Trust a tank that has been stored in garage for many years?

Default Trust a tank that has been stored in garage for many years?

Someone threw out an Oceanic 20 gallon tank with supplies, never used as everything was still in package/sticker still on tank. My concern is what the heat/cold in a garage has done to the silicone integrity. I did put water in it for a couple of days without issue but probably should test it longer?

It is cool to see the plastic plants in their original packaging, gang valve is brass, & the decorations are ceramic.
    Kat

a 20 gallon should be fine 200 maybe not
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

Probably more damaging then heat and cold is UV light. If the tank was kept out of sunlight, I would be more inclined to trust it.

Thanks. It was in a hoarder house in the garage under a bunch of stuff, so I don't think it was in the sun. Saw it at a their garage sale a couple years ago. Apparently it didn't sell because they trashed a bunch of stuff a couple weeks ago with it in the pile. Have seen them haul away several truck loads of stuff in the last year or so. Have found aquariums in the alleys several times over the years.
    Kat

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

probably fine but you could fill it with water in your garage and leave it for a day and see if there is water on the floor
    Gee, I get a sig file?

should be fine with a 20 gallon, UV light is what's more damaging then hot cold hot cold hot cold. I'd put it in the garage and test it with water for a few days.
    JPS Joey. #SOLOmatters --- autocross is fun! #31 class STS .
    I don't love studying. I hate studying. I like learning. Learning is beautiful.”
    2-27 gallon cube tanks, 2-10 planted, and a lot of other tanks that are empty( what to do with them ? ).

Will clear out a spot in the garage sometime & test it for a week or so. Thanks.
    Kat

Site Supporter Site Supporter

Sold a friend 3 old Oceanic 20 X 20 X 13 tanks, sat on his patio in the weather for 20 years dry. Finally got them back, cleaned up and they haven't leaked a drop in the 5+ years I have had them.

bristlenosedude that is great news. Now I won't be quite so worried to set it up some time.
    Kat