Thread: ? about planted tank & weight be ok on kitchen desk

Default ? about planted tank & weight be ok on kitchen desk

It has been many years since I've had an aquarium set up. Still have my ponds but thought maybe I'd try my hand at a planted tank. Lighting fixtures have changed a lot with LED taking place at the top of the list apparently. Have done some reading but not sure what to start planning out for a lighting fixture. I set up my 10 gallon tank with gravel & will eventually switch to a recommended soil. My light fixture is the old style with screw in bulbs.

I've found some 6500K LED bulbs on Amazon in various watts-- https://www.amazon.com/POPETPOP-Aqua...Baquarium&th=1. Should I try those or invest in a new fixture? Which 2 bulbs on a ten gallon?

Need this to be a simple set up possibly without CO2 as that would be completely new equipment to me. Thinking a few neon tetras & a couple baby BN for fish once established. Link to a really good website explaining CO2 equipment needed, etc?

The tank is on a built in kitchen desk that is part of the cabinetry. Constructed of plywood top with tile over it & a drawer under the top with the space underneath for a chair. Would this support up to a 20 gallon? Top measures 21" D x 32".

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Kat

Nice to see you here again! A great forum for planted tanks is Aquatic Plant Central http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/ You might enjoy reading the El Natural forum which is about the Walstad method of soil substrate, low to medium light, and no CO2. Another great resource is our local club, DFW Aquatic Plant Club. Watch the events forum here for upcoming meetings.

If you have an old screw-in fixture, you can use screw-in LED "bulbs" from the hardware store. Look for 5,000 to 6,500 K LEDs of 6W or less. This would be the equivalent of a 40W incandescent bulb. Two of these would be more than enough for a 10g.

A 20g tank on a built-in cabinet should be fine.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

I bought two of those screw in LED bulbs a year ago to try on a 10 gallon aquarium. They grow plants as well as the 6500K daylight CFL bulbs I am using in other tanks.

I went back and checked which LED I am using. It is the 7 watt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hey Michael--thanks & hope all is well with you. Will check out the links & see if I can find any bulbs. Once I get comfortable with it all will try to set up the 20 gallon & move the 10 gallon to a different spot.

mscotty12321---thanks. May end up having to get some of those & glad to know they work well for you.
    Kat

Quote Originally Posted by mscotty12321 View Post
    I bought two of those screw in LED bulbs a year ago to try on a 10 gallon aquarium. They grow plants as well as the 6500K daylight CFL bulbs I am using in other tanks.

I went back and checked which LED I am using. It is the 7 watt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    I have the CFL 6500Ks right now in my high tech tank. Do those LED bulbs fit the same socket as the CFLs? Cant tell from the picture. Would love to switch to LED for energy saving once these CFLs burn out.
    55g Planted Tank
    Light - 7x 23watt 6500K CFL Pigtail bulbs
    Substrate - Eco-Complete+ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil
    Fertilizer - Pressurized CO2, KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM-B
    Plants - Alternanthera Reneckii sp., Bacopa Madagascariensis, Blyxa Japonica, Eleocharis Acicularis, Heternanthera Zosterifolia, Ludwigia Inclinata, Ludwidgia Inclinata var. Verticillata 'Cuba', Limnophila Aromatica, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Riccia Fluitans, Rotala Macranda, Rotala Macranda 'Green', Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho'

Yes, the LEDs fit the same standard size socket for all screw-in bulbs. The CFLs work really well, and I still have a bunch of them. But I'm replacing them with LEDs as they wear out. The LEDs produce less heat than the CFLs.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Only place I found CFL in Daylight K was Home Depot. Unfortunately the bulbs were too big to fit into my fixtures. Can still use them over the plants I bring inside for the winter. Will end up ordering the small LED bulbs for my 10 gallon fixture.

Got my 20 long set up on the desk area in the kitchen with Flourite.
    Kat