Thread: Trouble with angels

Default Trouble with angels

I have a nice pair of "Copper Top Angels." First spawn only two survived. Second spawn, about two weeks ago maybe 50-75 became free swimming, but now, almost two weeks after "free Swimming" I think we're down to 30. Still quite small (1/16" little fin definition.) Suggestions?

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

what are you feeding?
    Gee, I get a sig file?

How much water are you changing?

Feeding frozen baby brine shrimp. 2-4 times per day. I've been afraid to change water to date, as the parents look very good. Today I changed 10 %.

If you really want to be a angelfish breeder here is what I did when I produced them on a commercial level. Use bare bottom tanks, feed fresh hatched BBS and not that frozen mess, change water every day. With big spawns change 50% of the water. With smaller spawns you can get by with 25%. Roughly 8 weeks after free swimming they should have quarter sized bodies. Chances are your problem is dirty water.

-john

You're not changing enough water. The parents may look good but the babies need clean, fresh water. That's why they're dying. You need to be doing daily 50-75% water changes.
    You also probably need to be feeding some high quality finely crushed flake. Frozen baby brine shrimp is ok but probably not enough nutrition alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah! John just beat me to it.
    Steve

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

Good advice here
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    You're not changing enough water. The parents may look good but the babies need clean, fresh water. That's why they're dying. You need to be doing daily 50-75% water changes.
    You also probably need to be feeding some high quality finely crushed flake. Frozen baby brine shrimp is ok but probably not enough nutrition alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah! John just beat me to it.
    Steve I have 20 discus I need to sell....I will make you a hell of a deal on them....

Sent you a pm John. Let me know if you didn't get it.
    Sorry to derail your thread OP.
    Steve