Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TCA Auction September 16th

I couldn't make it, had too much to do around the house.

So who got what?

Any outrageous deals?
    300G, 2 FX5, 1 FX6, Reef Angel Controller
    30+ F1 Frontosa Mpimbwe 4-7"
    16 White Lip Mdoka

110G
    20+ Red Bishop
    20+ Duboisi

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

I couldn't make it either, have a mortgage, had to work. any exciting news?
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Site Supporter Site Supporter

Good for buyers, bad for sellers. Very low turnout. These events may be in danger without more participation.

That's unfortunate to hear, I was hoping I could make this one but schedules just didn't want to work out. Gotta get out and show some support for these things
    75 Gallon High-Tech Planted (Build Stage)

they are spring and fall?
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Quote Originally Posted by bristlenosedude View Post
    Good for buyers, bad for sellers. Very low turnout. These events may be in danger without more participation.
    The sunday thing is a killer for me much of the time....I know every auction seems to be on a Sunday (fotas, HCCC, etc.) but saturday would work better for a lot of people I think. It can kind of be a spiraling trend too as it is going to continue to get smaller as sellers are more reluctant to show if the auction and turnout dwindles with prices cratering along with it. I doubt anyone goes to the auction to get rich but people are going to be hesitant to drive long distances (and let's face it...Texas is a very large, spread out area) to sell things for dirt cheap and have the 25% hit added to it. Unless you are bringing large numbers of fish to sell, or looking specifically to purchase, the cost vs time vs practicality equation just isn't there. All that being said, there is a greater problem with the auction and TCA as a whole than the things I just mentioned and it is just that I think the DFW area club is really spread out as people have moved, moved on with other hobbies, etc. and just don't have the time or interest anymore.

Sunday isn't my issue, spring and fall are because I work weekends in Spring and fall.
    Gee, I get a sig file?

i did not go either, i am hoping it was worth it to whoever went this time. Was there anything exciting other than your yellow labs and peacocks?

-There is never enough room for tanks !!!!

The problems run much deeper than what day the auction is on. This club once had a lot of active members, use to host shows, use to bring in speakers. Now we are a club that the only real thing we do is a couple of auctions a year. We have almost no active membership. It is either time to fold up the tents and call it quits or time to start to rebuild it. Rebuilding it will be hard because it is based on volunteers. I have found that lots of people talk a good game but when it comes time to do the work they don't show. If we want to return to the glory days we have to start doing something enjoyable. That might be meetings at peoples houses, doing shows, having speakers, having workshops.....whatever it is that will interest people. I am personally not sure if it will work now. I have driven from here to Baltimore, MD to hand pick fish, I have driven from here to Kansas City to hand pick fish, but most people now days can't be bothered to drive more than 20 minutes to do anything.

-john