Thread: Plecos keep dying since moving to new location

Site Supporter Site Supporter

Default Plecos keep dying since moving to new location

At the beginning of March I moved my fish to a new location I share with a stained glass artist and dfw fish rescue. The building is an old commercial building, at least 40 years old, we currently don't have ac because my idiot friend accidently broke it and we haven't had the money for the freon to fix it but we are moving to a new much larger location in the next couple of weeks(I'm not looking forward to that). Now the new place has central ac so that will no longer be a problem but it is at least as old as the current place. Well since moving to the current place I have lost 5 adult bristlenose(in 3 different tanks) and a Knobnose Whiptail Catfish suddenly for unknown reasons, I just came in one day and they were dead. I also lost a L027a Xingu royal to what I am thinking maybe aggression from a large common pleco but I'm unsure since it looked like his slimecoat was coming off the entire top of his body but I didn't see any torn fins on him. But I had 3 other plecos that had to be removed that had torn fins one of which died from his injuries, luckily the other 2 are doing fine now. I'm thinking it maybe a pollutant coming in through the pipes but don't know how to test it. I do think the last one or 2 deaths may of been to heat because I measured the temp of the tank of the last one I found dead and it was 88 however a couple of the earlier deaths were before it got hot. Also all the tanks are all cycled and the tanks where the deaths have happened have had nitrates below 40. All but 2 tanks are uncovered to help keep the temp down and the 2 that are covered are that way because the fish in those tanks are known escape artists. Any help with ideas of what might be happening would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Oh this is more fish die in 3 months than in over the previous year
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

My fish room has no A/C either. Never experienced deaths due to the temps, they will quit spawning if it gets too warm. 2 years ago when it was so hot I ran in the low 90's with no losses. Just need good maintenance and very regular water changes. Be careful of over feeding and keep the aeration up high.

yeah the aeration is kept pretty high and I do 50% water changes 2x a week. I have cut down the feeding lately so hopefully I won't lose anymore

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

In the summer I run sponge filters on my tanks along with Bio Wheels 350's for the extra air and water movement, since there is typically less o2 in warm water.
    Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Zrock Lithobates, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Albino Eureka Red, and a ton more.

well we did get an underpowered ac yesterday hopefully that helps but I do run sponge filters on all tanks