Thread: Fish Ants

Default Fish Ants

This was a new one for me. I have a couple of 10 gallon tanks on a double metal stand. I noticed a couple of ants walking around on the floor around the aquariums and then I noticed a line of ants along the baseboard. The ants were crawling up the stand to the tops of both aquariums. There were masses of ants and eggs on top of the glass canopies, on the back of one of the light fixtures, on the plastic rims, and under the lips of the HOB filters. I pulled out the vacuum cleaner and sucked them up as quickly as possible. There are still a few trickling in from the outside and I suck them up as soon as I see them.

I have never seen that many ants nesting out in the open. I guess they were attracted to the water. I am not sure what kind they are. Maybe crazy raspberry ants, except they did not really have any crazy movements. I will stay on the look out for these six legged visitors in the future.

IMG_20180408_101228334.jpg

IMG_20180408_101108537.jpg

that is really weird. I have also never seen that before.

Bizarre!

Depending on what kind of vacuum you have, you might want to empty the contents. Any live ants WILL crawl back out! We are always careful when we vacuum up fire ants at work in the shop vac. I make sure they're dead first.
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown

I just looked this up and evidently some ants are attracted to the humidity and electricity. So in that sense, the fish tank is perfect!
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by plant lady View Post
    Depending on what kind of vacuum you have, you might want to empty the contents. Any live ants WILL crawl back out! We are always careful when we vacuum up fire ants at work in the shop vac. I make sure they're dead first.
    I already thought of that and checked. The dust in the receptacle desiccates the ants. It is the same concept as using diatomaceous earth for insect control. As soon as the stragglers are gone, I will dispose of the bag because the ants smell. If anyone has ever disturbed an ants nest, you know the smell, but this is much stronger. Maybe I know the smell better because I played with ants as a kid.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

Crazy raspberry ants will eat the insulation off of wiring, nailed an air pump next to a pond I saw yesterday.
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Those are not crazy ants. They are sugar ants. The two yellow stripes on the abdomen are the same ants I have had in and around my home for years. I know them well. They don't bite or sting and smell almost perfumy when squashed.

This year they are particularly attracted to sources of water for me. I've had to hang my clothes iron in my closet because they have tried multiple times to nest inside - also inside my water cooler, bathtub, sinks, dogs and cats water bowls, etc. It's very weird.

I control them with diaotamaceous earth like you mentioned. It works well especially when I am able to find where they are coming into the house. I just throw a handful directly on the brick and foundation of the house.