Thread: Aggressive Kribensis Male

Default Aggressive Kribensis Male

So Over 6 months ago, a LFS recommended a Kribensis to help keep the population down in my Platy tank. Of course that didn't work out. The platy tank is no more at this point, anyway. So I set up a 40 breeder and started out with the Krib, my two Cory Cats, a couple of snails, and my immortal zebra danio. The Krib is just too aggressive with everyone. The cories ended up with fins nipped, etc. So I set up a 29 gallon. I moved him over to the 29 and put in 4 Dwarf Neon Rainbows hoping they would be okay dither fish, and if not I could move them to the 40 with the other fish and my 3 juvenile boesemani. Well, he has them basically herded into the opposite side of the tank. lol I just don't know what to do with this guy. He has a really swank cave in the 29, but I can't really justify letting him have that tank to himself. I am going to move the Praecox rainbow into the 40 today.

What would you do with this 29 gallon? How would you deal with the aggression? I thought about getting him a female and just letting them have the tank, but I am really just not all that interested if I can't put other stuff in the tank.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I can't just keep throwing fish at this tank hoping they can handle it.
    20180408_094458_HDR.jpg

Excuse the crypts floating in the middle. lol I am still working out how exactly I want the plants and will probably be moving stuff around today.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

I have a lone convict here, probably male, and he's going to be a specimen fish at my daughter's house with his own 29. If he acts like an Oscar he gets a tank like an Oscar. Solo
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Kribs are known to be highly aggressive. If you get him a female it will get worse and you'll have tons of babies. I would suggest taking him back to the lfs for store credit and putting what you want in the tanks.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

I'd second that. Or just plan on keeping him as a specimen in his own tank
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

If you are going to keep a Krib, get them as a pair IMO. You will get more personality and colors... otherwise find a fish that you will enjoy more that will get along with other fish.

In a 29g you could do 2 females but you will have a TON of babies you need to deal with.. you will not be able to keep other fish.

If you want to limit his aggression.. move items in the tank around, change his territory and he should mellow for a couple days. (If you get a female.. you want to do this before putting her in)
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous