Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ****** Update ***** - Please Read - Forum Going Offline For A Few Days

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

Default ****** Update ***** - Please Read - Forum Going Offline For A Few Days

We have needed an upgrade for a while and I need to move servers. Going to do both early part of next week. The recent string of people trying to abuse the forum (spammer bots) are very annoying and we just need a change.

I am not 100% sure what we will end up with, I suspect it will be VB5 much against my wishes.

Right now I am planning on doing this on Monday or Tuesday of next week. Probably go dark Monday morning and work to get back online ASAP.

I will update on something. Maybe twitter..

#funvacation
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous

Site Supporter Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by biggin View Post
    We have needed an upgrade for a while and I need to move servers. Going to do both early part of next week. The recent string of people trying to abuse the forum (spammer bots) are very annoying and we just need a change.

I am not 100% sure what we will end up with, I suspect it will be VB5 much against my wishes.

Right now I am planning on doing this on Monday or Tuesday of next week. Probably go dark Monday morning and work to get back online ASAP.

I will update on something. Maybe twitter..

#funvacation
    Wooo! Vacation!

Thank you for taking this change on. I'm a bit clueless on the price per website software options - is VB5 more expensive than others? Asking for my own curiosity.
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

Site Supporter Site Supporter greeneyed's Avatar

This is unacceptable!

REEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Have fun.

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

I would argue that VB is one of the most expensive forum options... I wish we would have made the move years ago when forums were a thing and there was a lot of support... now not as much. If you have watched some of the other forums that have thousands to spend making a conversion, it rarely goes smoothly....

We do not have thousands. I have thought about breaking down the cost of the website compared to the revenue it generates but I don't really want to and it is not that important.

There are other options, the issue is in getting this information moved to a new format, there are not good options for that. You can pay to have it done, but I am not really into that.

We could move to Xenforo or something but there isn't a good reason for that(have to pay for a license and conversion isn't easy). I wanted to move to PHPBB as it is open source and free, but I have not had luck making the conversion.

The cost to move to a new format is similar with no guarantee that we maintain information. I have thought about using this forum as an archive and starting fresh with a new forum.. I think that will be a pain.

I thought this would be an easy switch but not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by prahsms View Post
    Wooo! Vacation!

Thank you for taking this change on. I'm a bit clueless on the price per website software options - is VB5 more expensive than others? Asking for my own curiosity.
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous

Site Supporter Site Supporter

Good luck with the upgrade, Biggin.
    -------------------------------------
    It all started as a child.... I spent hours watching fish, tadpoles and crabs in the stream nearby... then when we went to the beach for vacation I spent my time watching the fish and anenomes in the rock/tidal pools. So here I am now with multiple tank syndrome. Is there even a cure?

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

What is your twitter name?
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Hope it all goes well ☺

Site Supporter Site Supporter greeneyed's Avatar

If it is what I have, he hasn't twittered since October of last year.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

Ah well. Hope forum switch goes well and I'll kick in $20 toward software
    Gee, I get a sig file?

When is the site going down? I was expecting it earlier this week.