Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Tubs

Default Summer Tubs

With Summer just around the corner this is a few questions to all of you who do summer tubs.
    What are a few tips you would suggest someone who's never done summer tubs do?
    What are some species you would recommend?
    Bare Bottom or gravel in the tubs?
    55 gallon, 29 Planted breeder tank, 40 Gallon Split Haitiensis grow out/Shell dweller tank

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

i do totes all year around but this year i will be adding more. I put africans in them with sponge and a DIY filter (5 gallon bucket with lava rock, ceramic rings, and 100 micron filter sheets.

A submersible water pump hooked to either hose or PVC that pumps water into the 5 gallon bucket and pvc returning the clean water back into the tote.

The 5 gallon bucket sits on top of the tote.

This filter can be made for less than $50.
    Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Zrock Lithobates, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Albino Eureka Red, and a ton more.

Where do you get the tubs?

Shelldwellers - Multifasciatus, Similis kipili, Brevis Karilani, callipterus
    Rock Dwellers F0 J. marksmithi, J. transcriptus bemba, N. leleupi orange, F0 N. Mustax, Chalinochromis bifrenatus
    Cyprichromis - Utinta, Mpulungu, Microlepidotus Bulu Point, P. nigripinnis
    Sand Sifters X. ornatipinnis, X. bathyphilus kekese, Gantho permaxillaris, L. perspicax, E. descampii

Synodontis - petricola, lucipinnis, polli, polli white, granulosus (w), multipunctatus (w)

Site Supporter Site Supporter

I have a Rubermade 110 gallon with DYI wet/dry and pump. $75

Peacock cichlid Site Supporter

Feed Store.

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

i buy my IBC totes via Facebook or 5 miles
    Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Zrock Lithobates, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Albino Eureka Red, and a ton more.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

I may do some summer tubs this year, once pond cleanups are over.
    Gee, I get a sig file?

The biggest problem I've had with summer tubs is temperature. In full sun they really get too hot. Morning sun and afternoon shade is much better, or dappled shade under trees. This applies to tubs with aquarium species of fish and plants. If you want to grow water lilies, then full sun is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The biggest problem I've had with summer tubs is temperature. In full sun they really get too hot. Morning sun and afternoon shade is much better, or dappled shade under trees. This applies to tubs with aquarium species of fish and plants. If you want to grow water lilies, then full sun is best.
    Isn't it quite stressful for the fish with these temperature changes? 100 in the day and 80 at night. I know the lake water doesn't change that much.
    300G, 2 FX5, 1 FX6, Reef Angel Controller
    30+ F1 Frontosa Mpimbwe 4-7"
    16 White Lip Mdoka

110G
    20+ Red Bishop
    20+ Duboisi

The water temperature does not change quickly like air temperature, so what you get is something in the middle between day and night time air temperature. But as the summer progresses, the water temperature slowly goes up until it can reach levels that stress the fish.