Thread: Bloated Betta?

Default Bloated Betta?

Attached some photos of my female- shes clearly still feeling perfectly fine and zippy, so apologize for the quality.

So, long story short, shes bloated. 20G tank, heated and cycled, shes all by herself in there. My first gut would be that shes been overfed, but Ive been gone house sitting for the past week so shes only been getting half of what she normally eats the past few days when I swing back home once a day.

Is she egg bound? It doesnt look like dropsy to me, but Im very inexperienced with betta ailments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've sent a text to my betta expert... hopefully she gets logged in to help you out QueB

Sent the pictures to my friend... she confirmed egg bound. Will have to manually express the eggs. Shes having issues getting in here at the moment do I sent the pics to her.

- - - Updated - - -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/181187708614862?view=permalink&id=870427469690879

Video of how to do this

Oh lord.

Obviously if thats what she needs, I’ll do it, I’m just very nervous about handling her and hurting her, or her hurting herself as I haven’t handled her at all. Is it possible to see if floating her in my mails tank will stimulate her to drop them?

She also said not to feed her for a week.. she can't expelled the eggs on her own but may absorb them.

Snail

I'm finally on. She may not be truly eggbound. Egg bound females will developed "clevage" on her chest. This is caused by the muscles in the chest separate because if the eggs. If she does have this look, then she is just well conditioned for breeding. The best way to avoid this is to not feed very often. Fish in the wild don't eat daily, and I know from experience that a Betta can go 21 days (mine were lost in the mail after a show) up to 31 days (another lost in the mail that another breeder bought). As I suggested through Oliphant, don't free her for a week up to 2 weeks (when my Crowntail starts getting too eggy, I do this).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Green View Post
    If she does have this look, then she is just well conditioned for breeding.
    If she doesn't have this look...can't figure out how to edit my post from my phone.

2E7C8F22-A0D6-4A6B-BCE9-4527B10F0CCD.jpeg
    Heres a photo of her today. Ive been fasting her as suggested. Not sure if this is the egg bound cleavage you’re talking about

She seems slightly less swollen today. Thankfully she seems less eggy and more just needing to poop. I may give her just a little bit of daphnia to help that along. Still acting fine and fussy about not being fed. I’m just still confused on why she bloated when she did because even if I am overfeeding her (despite having her on the same schedule as my male), this didn’t happen until I was gone and she wasn’t getting routinely fed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Snail

She wasn't bloated, she was well conditioned for breeding. All that yellow/orange you can see in the first photo are eggs.

Snail

Bloated and eggy are 2 different things. Females that get fed daily tend to developed an abundance of eggs.