Thread: wet and dry filter media question

Default wet and dry filter media question

Hello everyone,

I bought a tank with a wet and dry filter included. I am new to this type of filtration, I have always used Eheim canister so my experience and detail knowledge is limited to what I have read.

Everything works OK even though I had some minor hick ups here and there.

I am currently using what was included which is bio balls and a sponge as filter media.

What other type of filter media would be recommended?

Thanks

Matt

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

if you were removing medicines or something, you might use a nylon bag of carbon, but it shouldn't be needed routinely You can put your canister filter media in a nylon stocking and use it to help cycle the wet dry
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

I would use Ceramic rings instead of bio balls they allow for my bacteria to grow, plus I use 100 Micron filter sheets from Amazon as the mechanical filtration as well as a 100 Micron filter sock on each of the return tubes. I also had several bags of Purigen in the sump as well as a block of 8x8 CER Media, which similar to live rock in a salt water tank (it breaks down ammonia, nitrite and lowers nitrate).
    Hope this helps
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

THere are a lot of different types of media, bio balls and sponges are fine. If you already have them whey do you want to change it up? or Are you asking just to learn? Either is fine..

What type of filtration are you looking for?

These bricks are newer to the scene.. I really like them in concept.. sadly I have something else but if I were starting over I would be looking for something like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...id=35826&rel=1
    Filter socks are the way to go for cleaner water
    There are a lot of pellets and stuff these days. I am not a big fan.. they work fine, just make a mess.
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous

I haven't used a wet dry filter in the past so I am trying to figure out filter media and other issues that can occur. So far so good.

I have always used Eheim canister filters in the past like I said in my previous post. I would have stayed with Eheim but the tank was already drilled and set up for wet dry so I didn't have much of an option.

Pros and cons with everything but I am not completely sold on the wet and dry set up.

I have added some filter pads after the bio balls and it seems to work better. I am definitely going to try to use some nylon bags with some form of applicable media inside of them.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Deutsch; 01-12-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
    I haven't used a wet dry filter in the past so I am trying to figure out filter media and other issues that can occur. So far so good.

I have always used Eheim canister filters in the past like I said in my previous post. I would have stayed with Eheim but the tank was already drilled and set up for wet dry so I didn't have much of an option.

Pros and cons with everything but I am not completely sold on the wet and dry set up.

I have added some filter pads after the bio balls and it seems to work better. I am definitely going to try to use some nylon bags with some form of applicable media inside of them.

Thanks for the input.
    If the wet/dry doesnt work out for you(unlikely- they are good filters) you could hook up a canister filter to the drilled ports. I have seen lots of big tanks with Fx5's hooked up to the drilled ports/holes. Just a thought.