Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleco Breeding

Default Pleco Breeding

After the very first spawn of my calico Bristlenose I haven't had any breeding activity since. Ive added new caves and ive even started feeding cucumbers on the daily which they absolutely love and the cucumber doesnt last more than 12 hours. My question is how can I provoke breeding activity? The first batch disappeared over night one night without a trace and now I get nothing. Any tips?
    55 gallon, 29 Planted breeder tank, 40 Gallon Split Haitiensis grow out/Shell dweller tank

Site Supporter Site Supporter

Cucumber would be my last choice to feed, you would be better off with zucchini or canned green beans. Mine will stop breeding for a while so that is not uncommon. Sometimes the eggs or fry will just disappear, I suspect the male ate them. Give them some time and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bristlenosedude View Post
    Cucumber would be my last choice to feed, you would be better off with zucchini or canned green beans. Mine will stop breeding for a while so that is not uncommon. Sometimes the eggs or fry will just disappear, I suspect the male ate them. Give them some time and see what happens.
    Is Zuchinni better for them? Why cucumber last? They're from you they bred within the first couple days I had them and now nothing
    55 gallon, 29 Planted breeder tank, 40 Gallon Split Haitiensis grow out/Shell dweller tank

I only tell them to breed once when they leave my house so people will come back and buy more. Actually a lot of people tell me they breed quickly when they get to their new home, I don't keep the stock I am selling set up to spawn so it usually happens quickly when they get a cave. Green beans are the easiest and cheapest, I buy 5 cases at a time when they are on sale.

Don't think cucumber has much nutritional value.

I only tell them to breed once when they leave my house so people will come back and buy more. Actually a lot of people tell me they breed quickly when they get to their new home, I don't keep the stock I am selling set up to spawn so it usually happens quickly when they get a cave. Green beans are the easiest and cheapest, I buy 5 cases at a time when they are on sale.

How many green beans per though? I have 4 plecos all of which are sexable and dumping a full can of green beans like ive seen people do just seems like It would pollute the water more

just add enough for them to eat in about 8 hours and keep the rest of the can in the fridge. Also make sure the green beans are unsalted. Also Bristlenosedude told me to use french cut because it is easier for the fry to eat because it exposes the innards
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

During the growing season zuchs are super easy to grow. I will slice them up into discs or coins and freeze them. I quick nuke them in the microwave to soften and feed as needed.
    -Patrick

75 gal with Koi Angel,Blue Angels, Zebra Angels, Albino Corydoras, L144 BE BN Pleco, Nerite Snails
    29 gal with Electric Blue Rams, Espei Raspbora, Otos, Kuhli Loach
    3 gal with Betta
    X gal To be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by Pyork001 View Post
    During the growing season zuchs are super easy to grow. I will slice them up into discs or coins and freeze them. I quick nuke them in the microwave to soften and feed as needed.
    This will hopefully be the plan for the spring to feed them, I plan on growing an excess of vegetables and freezing what I don't use to last year round so I don't have to keep buying them

I've always heard that cucumber was mostly water and that zucchini had more nutrition and some of the enzymes that are found in the natural algae they eat.

Not sure how true that is, but that's what I always have heard. Take it for what it's worth.

If you have a few fish buying fresh veggies is not too bad. I takes 2 cans of green beans to feed my hoard. They are quick and easy, just buy them when on sale. I usually get 5 cases at a time. Don't fret over salted on not, it makes no difference since you drain off the water.