Thread: Speeding the growth of Java Moss

Default Speeding the growth of Java Moss

I need a ton of Java Moss for a couple of projects Im working on. Obviously, the small amount I have isnt growing very quickly. Any tips?
    I rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome fresh and saltwater fish. Here is a link to my Facebook page if you are interested in adopting someone new: https://www.facebook.com/DFWFishRescue/
    Current rescue capacity: peaceful- to semi-aggressive fish; 75 gallons and under.

Site Supporter Site Supporter

I'd imagine doing more 'high tech' procedures would prompt faster growth - higher lighting, CO2 injection / carbon dosing, fertilizer supplements. I haven't specifically testing this with moss though, so maybe someone else can chime in.

You could also try having just a small enclosed container (like a clear plastic storage tote) with a light on it with some water / moss inside (creating a moss culture essentially). Might be an easier way to try to spur growth with just moss without risking an algae bloom in one of your tanks while trying to find the right balance for it to grow faster.
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

would you have to inject CO2 into the plastic container?
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Site Supporter Site Supporter

Erm, I'm not entirely sure. I happened on a terrarium YouTube video of someone who propagated their own java moss and just had moss submerged in one of those clear totes with a 6500K light on top of the lid. There wasn't a full explanation of it, but I can do some digging the next few days to see if I can find any more info on it.

------------

Edit:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33...java-moss.html

This is essentially the same thing as what I saw in that YouTube video.

------------

Edit 2:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ar-method.html

Looks like a dedicated thread for ease of access
    Last edited by prahsms; 01-09-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: more info
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

Okay, so it looks like I need to just keep doing wat I’m doing. I’ve got my Java moss in a tub under 24/7 light and I dose fertilizers and API CO2 boost (because I’m too broke to buy a CO2 rig). I added some cull shrimp too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome fresh and saltwater fish. Here is a link to my Facebook page if you are interested in adopting someone new: https://www.facebook.com/DFWFishRescue/
    Current rescue capacity: peaceful- to semi-aggressive fish; 75 gallons and under.

Don't keep your lights on 24 hours a day. Plants need a period of darkness to carry out essential physiologic functions. A 12/12 schedule is more than enough.

you might try taking the lid off. That plastic lid could be blocking some of the helpful light your live plant needs.

yep good light, with some ferts, and good clean water and circulation. also eli plants need a rest period. so I'd do 8 hours light on then the rest off.
    Imprezadude because that's what I drive - JPS Joey.
    #SOLOmatters --- autocross is fun! #13 class n-STS .
    I don't love studying. I hate studying. I like learning. Learning is beautiful.
    marineland 27g cube pair. one planted the other nano reef tank. and a 75g. in the works.

Plants in a vegetatime state (ie, not flowering)do not need a dark period. 24/7 is best. The downside is you may get more spindly leaves from fast growth. The one thing I might change about your setup is the lid and spectrum. Plants need PAR(photosynthetically active radiation) and, more specifcially, PUR (photosynthetically usable radiation) to metabolize. 1st issue is that the translucent lid is blocking a ton of the PAR. The second is that those appear to be 2 white led bars. Plants PUR ranges are in the deep blue and red ranges. White leds MAY hit both of those ranges but, not well and not always. Usually the blue on a white led is a lighter blue that is not very helpful to plants. A cheap ebay fixture with 3w leds (important for par) that has only blue and red leds, over an open top, would grow the plants much faster.

- - - Updated - - -

Vegatative*