Thread: Filter Question

Default Filter Question

Howdy,

I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank with 14 mbuna and have been running with 2 filters - a marineland 220 canister filter and a penguin 350 hob filter. However, the hob filter is REALLY loud (even after cleaning) and has finally driven my wife to demand that I get rid of it. My questions:

• Is there any way to get the penguin filter to be quiet?
    • The canister filter is rated for 55 gallons, so in theory I should be able to run with just that, but in real life does that work?
    • If I do replace the hob filter, would one rated for 100 gallons be preferred to two rated for 55 gallons, or does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by djannati View Post

• Is there any way to get the penguin filter to be quiet?
    • The canister filter is rated for 55 gallons, so in theory I should be able to run with just that, but in real life does that work?
    • If I do replace the hob filter, would one rated for 100 gallons be preferred to two rated for 55 gallons, or does it matter?

Thanks in advance.
    I think it is better to over filter a tank. canister filters always seem to be under powered for the tank they are supposed to be rated for.
    1 big filter or 2 little filters...it depends on what the flow from the big filter will be and if it will cause too much turbulence in the tank. 2 little filters is probably better and allows you to clean the filters one at a time while sustaining the biofilter

Site Supporter Site Supporter

it also depends on bioload what do you have in the tank
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

The 350 might have sand or gravel in the impeller housing if you take a filter brush you might be able to get the substrate out. I run about 30 Emperor 400/Bio Wheel and I have to periodically clean the sand out of the impeller housing.
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.