Thread: Columnaris treatment

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

Default Columnaris treatment

Owing to being too lazy to rush to a fish store at 10 pm when none are open, and being unwilling to let a fish die, I got creative when I found columnaris on my australian rainbow fish. (I had lost one australian and one neon rainbow in this tank, and one corydoras catfish, and attributed the rainbows to pH, and the catfish to simple fungus due to a scrape on a rock. Well when I saw the saddle back "off color" on my rainbow I sort of remembered all of the above.

I bought the rainbows and catfish at the same time, only fish in the 55 was a small albino pleco before them. Granted I haven't seen him lately but I rarely do. so I was quarantining them together in this 55. Until I moved the 3 remaining green cories in with my older green cories, once part of a large breeding colony that got old.

Which means I had 2 tanks with columnaris exposure. Rather than hitting my ancient books i hit the internet, and in an obscure forum I found a 2006 post suggesting that the bacteria is gram negative (meaning tetra cycline or minocycline are better choices than erthro mycin) and that the alternative treatment was a salt treatment similar to one used for ich by some fishkeepers. Well I've not been a big fan of the salt treatment for ich, but I did manage to track down Fish Pharmaceuticals about a month ago and got 2 big jars of quinine phosphate. I thought I was getting quinine sulfate (which is what their CryptoPro retail product was) but I have learned that whatever they sell works like magic.

So I doped the rainbow fish immediately, 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons, dissolve in water before adding. When they were alive in the morning I dosed the catfish tank, which also has 3 small plecos and about 20 fancy guppies in it. I didn't have time for the 25% water change before redosing every 24 hours, but I did manage a 25% water change last night before dosing them both. (I delayed a dose on the catfish tank to get them on the same schedule) And so far, I haven't lost a fish. For Ich this treatment is 10 days. guess I could give him a call and find out how long I should use it for columnaris, but I think 10 days is a good place to start. I was careful not to share nets or siphons with the other tanks, which is part of why those daily water changes are not happening. If I'm going to lose fish I'd rather limit the numbers
    Gee, I get a sig file?

from my readings in the past, I read that metronidazole is a good thing for columnaris as well.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

It might be, and I had it, but I wasn't willing to experiment with it when I had this stuff to try. Quinine is really interesting stuff. and the fish are still doing great
    Gee, I get a sig file?