Thread: Frag tanks or other shallow, wide tanks

Default Frag tanks or other shallow, wide tanks

I'm wanting a very shallow (less than 1.5 feet deep), very wide tank (loooots of surface area) like a frag tank to turn into a coffee table/display tank for my axolotls; but the costs I'm seeing for frag tanks are absurd. I don't want to toss out $500 for a 40G tank. I'm considering building my own tank (King of DIY-style) but I would be more comfortable purchasing one. Are there any good alternatives for frag tanks or other wide tanks? Could I just take apart several other tanks and create something from that?
    I rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome fresh and saltwater fish. Here is a link to my Facebook page if you are interested in adopting someone new: https://www.facebook.com/DFWFishRescue/
    Current rescue capacity: peaceful- to semi-aggressive fish; 75 gallons and under.

Small Fry

I was able to get a 24" x 24" x 12" tall ~30 gallon (edit: it was used) from Texas Aquatics in Hurst about a month or so back. I'm not sure if they still have them available though. I think it cost me around $30 after tax and such. (Edit: My wife wants to use it for a frag tank as well)

If you're planning on breaking down pre-existing tanks to make your own, I would double check on the width of the glass you're planning on using. For longer / taller tanks you'll need thicker glass depending on the length and/or height. And you may want to pre-plan any kind of bracing to make sure everything is secure. Overall, definitely do-able, just a couple preliminary precautions to think about before diving in (sorry for the pun).
    Last edited by prahsms; 11-14-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarity
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

Someone is selling their 50G frag for $10. Needs resealing and cleaning. Does that seem reasonable?
    I rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome fresh and saltwater fish. Here is a link to my Facebook page if you are interested in adopting someone new: https://www.facebook.com/DFWFishRescue/
    Current rescue capacity: peaceful- to semi-aggressive fish; 75 gallons and under.

Site Supporter Site Supporter

does to me
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

I'd jump on it if I were you....speaking of which, if you pass it up, mind sending the contact along? lol
    75 Gallon High-Tech Planted (Build Stage)

Small Fry

I would jump on that too. Cleaning can take maybe an hour for a hardcore deep clean on it. Re-sealing longer (total time I spend resealing a 120 was about 5 days including way extra time to let all of the silicone cure). Maybe a couple hours with some vinegar, acetone (be careful with this for the silicone / cement holding the glass panes together), paper towels, and a razor blade and you'll be set to reseal it!
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

I went ahead and bought it. I’m working out a day to pick up.