Thread: Scud resulution

Default Scud resulution

I have found a way to get scuds under control in your tank or at least it worked for me.I have had scuds in my 10 gallon tank for a while now and couldn't keep java moss in the tank.When the moss was gone they moved on to some of the crypts.I was looking for another filter for the tank and came across a small fluval in tank filter with spray bar so I bought it.Imagin my surprise when I cleaned it for the first time it was full of scuds I don't mean just a few but it was loaded.I couldn't get them out of the sponges so I put the sponges in some water with seltzer in it the scuds died immediately so I put the filter back together and this time I put a little java moss in the filter as bait(scuds cant resist java moss)I pulled it out about a week later and it was loaded again so I did the cleaning the same as before and put it back in the tank.Now this will not ever get rid of all the scuds in your tank but it does seem to keep them to a minimum I hardly ever see them in the tank anymore and when I do its just one or two.This was an absolute accident that I found out the side effect of this filter.On a side note everyone that keeps a planted tank should have seltzer on hand to dip plants going from one tank to another tank.I put all my plant in it before they go in my tanks now.Hope this can help someone that is fighting scuds if you try this and it works post on here so we can keep track if it really works or it just worked for me.

When you say seltzer, are you talking about plain, bottled, seltzer water?
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown

Yes

I've never heard of the filter or the seltzer technique before. Does the seltzer work on anything else?

The filter was just one I bought and the scuds liking it was just dumb luck.I'm not sure it would work on anything else but you don't want to put it in your tank.The seltzer is carbonated water and its like a straight shot of co2 that most things cant survive the scuds die instantly.