Thread: Forum Changes

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

Default Forum Changes

So we have been on this platform and server forever..

I am going to move servers by the 16th.. so there is opportunity for changes. I am going to change the software, probably purge some stuff (old sales post, etc.. )

Out of curiosity...
    • What forums do you think are the best today? (fish or not..just what forums do you enjoy?)
    • Do you have a preference on forum software, we probably will leave VBulletin... PHPBB is the front runner..
    • What features do you like?
    • What features are we missing?
    • What would make the site better for you?
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous

We already have a calendar, but no one enters any info on it. I would like to keep it if we can get someone in charge of filling it in as things arise. It would be very helpful to be able to glance at it and see what's going on.
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown

Site Supporter Site Supporter

I would like an updated LFS map, I really enjoy monsterfishkeepers, I like the ability to follow individual posts and forum sections
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

I have gotten used to this forum and how it operates/functions but I can get used to anything.

Sites I like:
    shrimpspot.com
    dfwfishbox.com
    Monsterfishkeepers.com
    plantedtank.net

Sites I dont like:
    aquaticplantcentral.com - Although there is a wealth of information...I can not stand the layout
    forum.cigar.com
    forums.cigaraficionado.com/6/ubb.x
    cigarworld.com

Features I enjoy:
    ability to skip to the first unread post in a thread
    unread threads being a different color or highlighted to make it easy to see what you have and have not read
    time stamps for each post
    post count
    status label above our avatars. based on post count or custom for your long timers / site supporters

Quote Originally Posted by nickchapman View Post

Features I enjoy:
    unread threads being a different color or highlighted to make it easy to see what you have and have not read
    post count
    status label above our avatars. based on post count or custom for your long timers / site supporters
    +9999999999999999

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

Features I enjoy:
    post count
    I'm with Nick on these. One of my bee forums recently changed software and I kinda like the new stuff, although it has taken me some getting used to. They are running: Xenforo. I'm not wild about it, to be honest, but it is probably better than the older version of VBulletin they were running
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Things I don't like: constant popups stating the forum will work faster if I download some app and sites that force Android users into a "mobile optimized" format.

The only thing I would say is a must keep is the new posts link.

Anything else will likely be something I can adjust to easily enough.

yes keep new post link and when clicking on post go to 1st unread post like monsterfishkeepers

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plant lady View Post
    We already have a calendar, but no one enters any info on it. I would like to keep it if we can get someone in charge of filling it in as things arise. It would be very helpful to be able to glance at it and see what's going on.
    There will be some sort of calendar function... I don't know that it will be any more updated.. I am just not good at that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFredPit View Post
    I would like an updated LFS map, I really enjoy monsterfishkeepers, I like the ability to follow individual posts and forum sections
    I need to get on the LFS map.

I struggle with MFK since the update. I have not gone enough to get used to it and feel like it has got more cumbersome to navigate. I am sure it is user error.. plus I don't like the dark on dark on dark look.

I have gotten used to this forum and how it operates/functions but I can get used to anything.

Sites I like:
    shrimpspot.com
    dfwfishbox.com
    Monsterfishkeepers.com
    plantedtank.net

Sites I dont like:
    aquaticplantcentral.com - Although there is a wealth of information...I can not stand the layout
    forum.cigar.com
    forums.cigaraficionado.com/6/ubb.x
    cigarworld.com

Features I enjoy:
    post count
    I should have asked what people don't like.. that might be more telling than what they do like. Most of those functions seem doable..

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    I'm with Nick on these. One of my bee forums recently changed software and I kinda like the new stuff, although it has taken me some getting used to. They are running: Xenforo. I'm not wild about it, to be honest, but it is probably better than the older version of VBulletin they were running
    I have looked at Xenforo.. it cost a bit more money, the conversion tool is very sketchy.. and I wonder how long they will be in the game. They have a nice looking forum. (I think this is what MFK is using if I remember correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by Virc003 View Post
    Things I don't like: constant popups stating the forum will work faster if I download some app and sites that force Android users into a "mobile optimized" format.

The only thing I would say is a must keep is the new posts link.

Anything else will likely be something I can adjust to easily enough.
    I doubt we will go to anything that forces people to use an app.. I just don't like that. Why do people need a special app to view your content?

We will 100% have a New Post link.. it is how I view the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFredPit View Post
    yes keep new post link and when clicking on post go to 1st unread post like monsterfishkeepers
    Most likely that is going to happen.
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous