Thread: Cichlids or Community tank?

Default Cichlids or Community tank?

Hi gang,

I am in the process of setting up a tank. It's an used tank. But I am cycling it again just to be safe. I am torn between African Cichlids or Community tank. I know it's personal preference. but wanted to listed to suggestions from the gurus. Details below.

1) Tank is around 200 gallons with adequate filtration.
    2) Tank previously had Cichlids. So all the decor is more suitable for Mbunas(Rocks and stones).
    3) If it is Community, i am planning to have the following: Silver dollars, Rainbows, Barbs(Roseline), Angels, some rams??, Gouramis......
    4) If it is Cichlids, i like Mbunas first and then Haps.

Thanks,
    Sami

Many species of rainbowfish do well with the same water chemistry as Rift Lake cichlids.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

what kind of rock (decor) and substrate? If using the same stuff from a previous cichlid tank it may be the type that is meant to keep the ph high. and if this is the case, you should go the cichlid route for the health of the fish.

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

or change the substrate and stone to something that will allow softer water
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

I prefer Cichlids, but then again I breed, buy/sell Africans so my view is a bit bias.
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.

Quote Originally Posted by carddude123 View Post
    I prefer Cichlids, but then again I breed, buy/sell Africans so my view is a bit bias.
    :-) thanks for the input cardude123. you have only Lake Tanganyika. right?
    Last edited by Sami; 10-18-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickchapman View Post
    what kind of rock (decor) and substrate? If using the same stuff from a previous cichlid tank it may be the type that is meant to keep the ph high. and if this is the case, you should go the cichlid route for the health of the fish.
    Rocks: Big holey rocks and 3d rock background + many big rocks and large sized pebbles Substrate: small-medium size pebbles. that's the reason i was leaning towards Cichlids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    or change the substrate and stone to something that will allow softer water
    that's the idea if i am going with community fish. but too many decorations to change :-)

No. Mostly Lake Malawi and some Lake Victorian. I have more peacocks than anything.
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.

Quote Originally Posted by carddude123 View Post
    No. Mostly Lake Malawi and some Lake Victorian. I have more peacocks than anything.
    let me know if you have mbunas. pm me if that's easy.

Sent pm