Thread: Angelfish behavior.

Default Angelfish behavior.

I know that while a pair have eggs they will be territorial, but will they go back to "normal" behavior if another fish eats the eggs?
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown

Small Fry

That's how mine were... but now I'm a in a similar situation. I removed the last batch of eggs before they or another fish could eat them and since then my male has seemed super depressed.
    Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

My problem is that my tank is severely overgrown and it wasn't until I started clipping plants that I realized that I evidently have 6 fish that have paired off and decided to lay eggs with in a 2 day period. I can't see the eggs because of the plants and I can't clip anymore plants because they do better if they can't see each other. I thought that if the 3 pairs come back out, then I'll know that they've lost the eggs. I have 4 semi-young bn plecos in with them.

Unknown

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

I have a depressed male angel who wanted to mate but his girl didn't want to back at the end of July and he pecked on her too much, she got fin rot and died. Only had the one successful batch in the bare 55 with sponge filter. In the show tank in the living room eggs always got fungus. I had the pair all alone so they would have babies. so if anyone wants a large proven male... Let me know I think he's going to auction
    Gee, I get a sig file?

Sounds like what happened to mine. I have a huge vibrant red-orange over about 70-80% of his body Koi Angel that pecked his female too much and she got an infection and died. They bred twice but pleco ate the eggs. I was not ready to actually rear young so I did not worry about it. Now I am sad his mate is gone as I would love to mate him. Some point if I run across another good colored lot of them I'll buy a bunch in hopes of a female to pair up.

Angels are funny fish. They can be very aggressive or very passive. I have one black zebra that is real bastard and attacks the rest of the angels for no reason at all. Funny thing is he is not the big dominant in the tank. I have a platinum blue that couldn't care less about territory. If one of the others even make eye contact it just turns and slowly swims away.

Typically once the eggs-fry are gone they will return to normal status with other fish. But.... If you have a very dominant paired up pair in the tank they can continue to be very territorial. Mostly just to other angels though. That has been my experience with them at least.
    -Patrick

75 gal with Koi Angel,Blue Angels, Zebra Angels, Albino Corydoras, L144 BE BN Pleco, Nerite Snails
    29 gal with Electric Blue Rams, Espei Raspbora, Otos, Kuhli Loach
    3 gal with Betta
    X gal To be continued...

All the eggs must be gone for now, everybody went back to normal. I have enough angels in the tank that the aggression was spread around and none got hurt. There's still a little mouthing going on, but not one bite or torn fin. I think it makes a difference that all of these guys grew up together. When I got them, they were about the size of a nickel.

Unknown

Frugal Fishkeeper Site Supporter

I am debating on whether to find my lonesome dude a girlfriend. got a couple of free angels from a member but haven't checked sex yet.
    Gee, I get a sig file?