Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Canister Filter?

Site Supporter Site Supporter

I understand they need water in them its just my magnum 350 only needs 50% of the canister full to start and it is easy to work the air out by starting and stopping a couple times where as my fluval 405 has to be 100% full for water to even reach the pump.

BTW thank you for helping me understand this I really do appreciate you sharing your experience and opinions
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

My FX5 runs like a champ. I went about 3 years without cleanly on a fully stocked cichlid tank. The filter must be 8 years old now. Incredible filter

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Warning, I'll hurt your reputation UncleSamsPuppet's Avatar

I too appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Personally, I was just looking for an alternative to the Rena XP since they are on backorder (been out of the hobby for a few years and was curious if something had come onto the market which was better). I love the simplicity of the XP, the functionality, the reliability, etc. I have owned maybe 5 or 6 over the years and never had any problems from any of them (minus one with an o-ring issue which was ultimately my fault).

I talked to my wife and think I am just going to wait for the XP to arrive (dang it), and buy a cheap HOB filter in the mean time (it'll act as a backup later also).

FX4/5/6 look nice, but price is a turn-off. The Eheim seams like a resealable substitution. The JBJ seems like an Eheim knockoff. AquaTop seems a little iffy (one I was looking at has a built in UV light). Magnum 350 looks decent enough, but LOVE clear media holders (some complaint with the FX series & fluval filters).
    Thank you,
    Drew
    (AndrewH)
    My Aquariums

"Wisdom is knowledge applied through personal experience" - me

yeah I love how with a quick look I can tell if the fiberfill needs changing in my magnum 350
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

Fx5/6 in my mind
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of pros/cons of the canister filters! It's always good to have updated info.
    75 Gallon High-Tech Planted (Build Stage)

Snail

I agree, looking at going the canister route on my next setup. Thanks

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

I actually have on my list to create some reviews of the different filters.

I have 2262, 2213, FX4 all sitting here and an empty 55g tank that I can do some stuff with...

All that being said, in the past 4-5 years filters have improved quite a bit.
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous

Warning, I'll hurt your reputation UncleSamsPuppet's Avatar

Yes, most definitely do some side-by-side reviews if you can!!! If you need some other filters to add into the review let me know (some of the cheaper chinese knockoffs?) and we can work something out to get the filters then maybe to a dfwfishbox.com giveaway .

Might try some "in tank canisters" also if we can.

My guess, you would just do water quality measurements, then list the pro's and con's over a given length of time?
    Thank you,
    Drew
    (AndrewH)
    My Aquariums

"Wisdom is knowledge applied through personal experience" - me