Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possibly getting into saltwater...

Skimmers do have size ratings. Depending on the type of tank and stocking levels you may want to get one rated for a larger tank then the one you purchase. (I.E. I had a skimmer rated for 100g on my 54g). There is alot that goes along with skimmer selection so it's best to figure out the type of tank and how you are going to handle filtration and then find a skimmer that fits those requirements.

Also note that most of the biological filtration in a simple saltwater tank occurs in/on the rock surface so filtration methods are pretty different... and better IMO (ease of cleaning/maint).
    75 Gallon High-Tech Planted (Build Stage)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snow999ball View Post
    Skimmers do have size ratings. Depending on the type of tank and stocking levels you may want to get one rated for a larger tank then the one you purchase. (I.E. I had a skimmer rated for 100g on my 54g). There is alot that goes along with skimmer selection so it's best to figure out the type of tank and how you are going to handle filtration and then find a skimmer that fits those requirements.

Also note that most of the biological filtration in a simple saltwater tank occurs in/on the rock surface so filtration methods are pretty different... and better IMO (ease of cleaning/maint).
    This is great advise^^ I will check when I get home to see which one I have.

Saltwater is not hard, it's the Equipment and first buying the sand and rock. that's can be shockers to beginners. my advice is go slow ,(nothing good happens when going fast with saltwater. also make sure to do maintenance each week. ( top off evalp water, and do a water change).

my nano wasn't to bad. I ended up going to the Allen petco and get a 50 a day ro machine that was around 65.00 then added a di part to it. I topped off 2-3 gallons each week. and every two weeks did a 5 gallon water change each two weeks. I bought the 25 gallon bag of instant ocean when I need it. which was 18-25 dollars. only thing I dosed was alk buffer to keep the alk stable and ph up.
    I didn't fall for the $$$$ coral craze, I bought what I liked in color, and if I thought it was a reason price. did over stock the tank had a mated pair off clowns, a royal grama, and some snails as clean up crew.

also as snow ball said, your filtration is going to be the sand and live rock. a protein skimmer, takes out the extra gunk in the tank think of it as the fishes toilet. also a sump why people use it is it addes water volume to a tank. more water volume more stable tank. it also a place to fit extra stuff. the skimmer, heater, a fish thats got to mean for its tank mates, etc.

best think I did when I Started. was read everything I could on nano-reef.com and do lots of research.
    Imprezadude because that's what I drive - JPS Joey.
    I don't love studying. I hate studying. I like learning. Learning is beautiful.”
    Corals and crack have a lot in common – they’re both high priced tiny pieces of rock that can disappear in the blink of en eye"
    93g cube-salt(took down, may do fresh in it)27g cube planted, //// " I'm Afraid of the Americans! , I'm Afraid of the world " !!! .

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.