Thread: Hello everybody

Default Hello everybody

Hello, i'm Mike. A little background. I started a small 20 gal (think it was a 20, I know it was small) tank in 2006 or 07. I had two koi in the tank, I did not know crap about fish. In apr 2008 I moved the TX from NC, the job I got led me into a free 55 gal tank. I was talking about fish to a co-worker and said I needed a bigger tank. He asked if I wanted a 55 I said sure but how much, the answer was free. The following weekend I got the tank, moved the koi into it and kept them for awhile. My neighbor had a garage sale, they were selling a 30 or 35 gal tank and stand. I picked that up for around $40. I set that tank up as well with some angels silver dollar fish. Mind you I was renting a room from friends that I moved here with, so these two tanks were in my bedroom. I ended up getting rid of the 55 (tore it down, still have it in my friends shed). Around a year later I did the same to the 35 gal.

Fast forward to now 4ish years later. Octoberish of last year I started looking to buy a house, in that time I started watching youtube vids on planted tanks. I bought the house in Dec, and boy did the house need tons of work. May 3rd I setup the 30-35 gal tank. I would say it is medium planted. I have 3 sunburst platties, 3 black mollies (from petsmart), 2 other types of platties male and female (sad they have not had fry, or if they do they eat them before I realize it). a white albino algae eater (cant remember the specific species) All of these came from TX Aquatics minus the ones I said were from petsmart. I also have two tetra's, a Gourami, two other fish I am not sure what they are. I think that is all, these came from my 75 gal that I bought.

When I was buying the platties from TX Aquatics, I mentioned to the women (she has helped me twice now, and have no clue of her name), that I was probably going to get my 55 gal out and set it up. She asked why not get a 75 gal the extra room gives you enough more over the 55 that you can mix some different types of fish. I thought about it and ended up finding a 75 with stand HOB filter, fish, and alot of other stuff for $200. I just replaced the topfin led light with a beamswork dhl (got it yesterday). Current livestock 2 dwarf Gourami's, a male and female bosemani rainbowfish (wanted some for the 35, so why not put them in the 75). I got these from TX Aquatics. A clown loach, and some sort of catfish that hides inside on of the decoration's that came with the tank. The loach and catfish were included with the tank as well. I bought 30 plants from a aquabid auction 2 days ago. That's all so far on that tank.

The person I bought the 75 from was also selling a 10 gal tank that I bought as well. I was going to do a dirted tank with shrimp with it. I then decided to use it as a QT tank, or to move the two rainbow fish into with a spawning mop which I made already. It's still cycling though.

The 35 is in my living room, the 75 is behind me in my computer room, and the 10 gal is on a table in my bedroom(once I build a stand for it I will move it next to the 75. I am probably going to set the 55 up down the road.

Sorry for the long read but this is where I'm at right now.

I have been toying with the idea of a few electric blue rams in the 75. I just need to do more research on caring for those.

I will post a few pics of each tank this evening once the lights come on.

Thanks again for reading this long post.

Small Fry

Nice! Multi Tank Syndrome lives on in another hobbyist!

Glad to have you on the box!
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

Site Supporter Site Supporter DCS's Avatar

Welcome to the Box!

Welcome! You're in good company! Most of us, whether we want to admit or not, have MTS!
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown

Welcome! I have a planted 75 with a school of Boseman's rainbowfish--my favorite.

welcome to the box

Hello, thanks everybody. As I said earlier I would post a few pics.20170608_184629.jpg Here is my 35 gal

20170605_125043.jpg the 75 gal, more plants are on the way.

20170606_142217.jpg one of the two dwarf gourami's

20170608_211022.jpg my rainbow's. The male is probably about an inch long with the female being about 1-1.5 inches long. I hope they will breed soon.

20170608_204352.jpg and the loach playing dead. I think he was actually nibbling on something.

The rock in the rainbow pic and the thing the loach is on came with the tank.

The two jungle val I bought the other day from TX Aquatics. The other plants came from my 35, the sword has a spotty brown leaf. Not sure if the finnex 24/7 was giving it to much light, so I decided to move it to the 75.

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

Welcome to the box
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.

What substrate are you using?
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown

Thank you.
    @plant lady the 35 has pea gravel and some lava rock, and the 75 has pool filter sand, little bit of lava rock and at the back middle some gravel that came with the tank that I was was getting impatient taking it out so I lest that.