Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Massive die off

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

I like the API test kits
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.

Small Fry

Quote Originally Posted by TheFredPit View Post
    I think I have figured out what it was. A couple weeks ago our closet was sprayed for bed bugs which is right next to the tank and I believe somehow I got some in the tank and it was heavier than the water so sank to the bottom where only the plecos and snail reside so the mollies and guppies were fine. I have lost all 3 blue eyed bristlenose and 7 of the 9 long fin super reds and 1 more of the super reds seems to be struggling. I have done 4x 50%+ water changes and added Marineland Diamond Blend Ammonia Neutralizer/Activated Carbon mix to my filter
    I'm not sure what kind of timeline we could make it work with but I've got some purigen as well if that will help.
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

Site Supporter Site Supporter

won't the activated carbon do the same thing as purigen?
    Plecos are like Pokemon you gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

Small Fry

I believe it should - just wanted to offer for extra peace of mind.
    Steven // Life is too short to not pull up a chair and enjoy your tanks.

thank you after doing a little reading on it I plan on buying some next paycheck for my 3 tanks. What I really like is how long it lasts compared to carbon and the fact it doesn't leach

ok the one that seemed to be struggling yesterday seems to be doing better today so thats a good sign fingers crossed

Peacock cichlid Site Supporter

I have forks that have been in my tanks for weeks. I have in the past had several plecos die in a tank when none of the other fish were affected. I thought it was due to water quality and immediately did a large water change like you did. Sorry for your loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine love green beans.

Site Supporter Site Supporter carddude123's Avatar

No. Purigen removes ammonia and nitrites and carbon is mainly for odor it is not biological but closer to chemical but not quite either.
    All About African Cichlids (Facebook page & group, Instagram and Gmail account). Masoni, Turkis, Lemon Jake, Red Kaiser, Lwanda, Bi-Colors, Germ Red, Pheno Star Sapphires, Zrock Lithobates, Mdoka White Lips, Xyistromis Flamebacks, Gold Kawanga OB, Pundimilia Mwanza Gulf a d way too many more.