Thread: How do I add new fish from LFS to brackish tank?

Site Supporter Site Supporter fishyspots's Avatar

Default How do I add new fish from LFS to brackish tank?

I am setting up a new brackish 55g tank (finally!). All the brackish fish I'm finding at LFS are being kept in freshwater at the stores. Do you set up a new tank as freshwater, add all the fish you want THEN increase the salinity slowly over a period of weeks or just increase your salinity as you go and do drip acclimation to the new fish into the already "salty" water. If the latter, how long of a drip acclimation do you use? I'm looking to get sailfin mollies, a knight goby and orange chromides for sure. Would love a couple of monos and some scats but know they will eventually get too big for this tank. Any other suggestions? Celebes rainbows, bumblebee gobies and dragon gobies are other considerations based on my research.....archers and puffers probably not.
    90g, 55g, 15g, 10g, 8g: planted community tanks

The way i did it when i went from fresh to brackish was by gradually taking the tank saltier. The fish are very resilient and used to rapid salinity changes in the wild. Or you could just go the easy route and buy my brackish fish. I have 3 scats, 1 goby, 1 archer fish, 1 mono and 3 pea puffers in a 125.

How big are your scats and mono? I'm looking for those but only have a 55g tank so want to buy them small enough that I can keep them awhile before they outgrow the tank. Do the pea puffers like the brackish? I thought they were freshwater only. Price of the ones you have for sale? I have a knight goby, some bumblebee gobies and several mollies in there now and have just been adding 4 TBSP salt/gal when I do topoffs so still really a low salinity since it's only been up a few weeks. I don't want to increase the salt too fast and ruin my biological filtration.

they are between 4 and 5 inches roughly. I am actually looking to sell the entire setup if you are interested.

Sent you a PM!

I have a puffer that has been kept fresh that needs brackish water as well!

BBurton, I hope you get the information you need, but this post is over 5 years old. You might be better off starting a new thread.
    "Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present."

Unknown