Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: power outage....

peroxide will work for saltwater as well. it actually increased DO more than aeration. There is a german company that makes a H202 oxygenator for aquariums. You can put one of those in your tank if you aren't going to be on hand to dose H202 manually during the outage. Battery operated air pumps on sponge filters can keep the water circulating. Battery backup UPS for a sump pump would be pretty pricey.

- - - Updated - - -

H202 is a natural remedy for parasites as they cannot produce adequate antioxidants to stave off fatal oxidative necrosis at the levels fish can. Hence, it could be bad for inverts if you have less robust invert colonies. Therefore, be forewarned not to overdose the H202. Also, H202 causes iron to precipitate so if you're using plant ferts or have high iron sources from rocks or are using chelators for your tapwater then it would be advised to keep an eye on your iron with an aquarium iron test kit.

I recommend a generator also that's of course if your investment is way up there

Quote Originally Posted by 1badbluehb View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a replacement batter for my UPS backup?
    batteries plus by the Irving mall
    Anarchy is only truly fun for the rational anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by xtc View Post
    We need to sticky this one

24 hours is my break point. When we had the 4-5 day outage a while back I waited 24 hrs to do anything. Then I rented a generator for $50 a day. But I had 7 tanks and all were ok after 24 hrs without doing anything.
    I don't think there is a time frame. I think its all about the amount of fish in your aquarium. A 50g planted tank with tetras isn't a problem. When you got 50 tropheus in a 110g, within 30 minutes my fish was gasping for air. We lost power last week and the first thing I did was get my battery operated air pump. I will buy a UPS for my tropheus tank. Even with a battery operated air pump, it wont do anything to resolve the build up of ammonia. If I was to have a prolonged power outage, I don't think my tropheus will last 24hrs with a battery operated air pump.
    300G, 2 FX5, 1 FX6, Reef Angel Controller
    30+ F1 Frontosa Mpimbwe 4-7"
    16 White Lip Mdoka

110G
    20+ Red Bishop
    20+ Duboisi

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

You would be surprised, throw a couple sponge filters in your sump, run them on a battery and you will be good for a while. Just don't feed while the power is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingtiger View Post
    I don't think there is a time frame. I think its all about the amount of fish in your aquarium. A 50g planted tank with tetras isn't a problem. When you got 50 tropheus in a 110g, within 30 minutes my fish was gasping for air. We lost power last week and the first thing I did was get my battery operated air pump. I will buy a UPS for my tropheus tank. Even with a battery operated air pump, it wont do anything to resolve the build up of ammonia. If I was to have a prolonged power outage, I don't think my tropheus will last 24hrs with a battery operated air pump.
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous