Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make your own LR?

Default Make your own LR?

I just came across an article that tells you how you can make your own LR. Has anyone tried this and had any success with it? Pros and cons? A big prob i have with buying it is finding the perfect piece that will fit just right in your tank and still look good while having nice little caves and holes for the fish/inverts to hide in....so this article really got my attention and i wanna try it

i know a guy who owns a shop and he makes and sells his own lr, and it works pretty well for him. he sells tons of it
    "If your parents never had children, chances are... neither will you."

Fahaka Puffer

I've heard of people doing it, years ago on one of the reef forums. They had fun with it and posted lots of pictures of the process. Coraline algae eventually covered the rock so it was indistinguishable from live rock. As I recall, they soaked and cured it in vats outside for quite a while before using in the display tank. Is this the article you read: http://www.garf.org/-2010/rockschool.html. Good luck if you decide to do it. I hope you'll post pictures of your progress.
    4 Aquariums (2 SW, 2 Fresh)

thanks for the input angel and OOwl OOwl, thats not the article i read, the one i read was in a magazine i think called coral and reef, but i couldnt find it on google, its a new mag at our store. but that article said the natural live rock was self sustaining?

youtube, there are videos on there that show you step by step how to do it. it just takes some time. but if you have a backyard and some patience i bet you can come up with all sorts of awesome things for your tank that will in the long run be way cheaper and look better in your tank, since it will be shaped the way you want it, then the stuff you buy at a lfs.
    "If your parents never had children, chances are... neither will you."

So....after i read some things on google, sounds like the PH can either drop significantly, or raise significantly if you dont cure it long enough after you make it? Does that depend on which mixture you decide to use? If so, which mixture will raise it and which will drop it? BTW Im a SW newb so im not too familiar with all the curing process and all that stuff.

One last Q for now, for those of you who have done this, you guys use fresh tap water to cure it? Does it have to be dechlorinated? (hope thats not a stupid Q lol...)

Fahaka Puffer

Well, the guy I know that did it cured it in big vats (plastic pails) of saltwater. He scraped coralline algae off his main tank walls and a few scoops of live sand and dumped it in with his live rock that was curing, put a cheap 50/50 bulb over it, added calcium and top off water to it and in four months he had rock that was COVERED with coralline and teeming copepods. Good luck with your project.
    4 Aquariums (2 SW, 2 Fresh)

DNA usually will have base rock & when I had my saltwater tanks I'd add a few pieces at a time. They'd eventually get coraline & critters on them within a few months.
    Kat

Just a long for the ride biggin's Avatar

The garf guys are pretty good guys, the garf grunge is one of the best methods of cycling a tank.... if you want to make live rock get a bunch of it and you will be surprised what you end up with.
    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. " - Mitch Hedberg

“If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it.” – Anonymous

So basically the garf grunge is just like a "bacteria/live stuff starter kit" type thing for a SW tank? it should help get ths DIY LR cured and ready for my tank within several weeks?