Jonm

Neolamprologus bifasciatus

Rate this Entry
Figured I'd give this feature a try:

10/31/13: Received 7 Neolamprologus bifasciatus juveniles from Jim's Tropicals. They range from about 1" to 2". They are being housed for the time being in a 20L w/ HMF, black diamond sand and river rocks.

11/3/13: They seem to eat anything that is thrown at them. I have fed BBS, Repashy and lotsoffish #2. They have chowed down on all of it. The largest fish has basically claimed the entire tanks as its own. He keeps 5 of the the other neolamprologus bifasciatus up against the HMF filter and the other one is SOMETIMES allowed into the rocks. The aggression is spread out evenly amongst all of his/her tank mates at this time with no single fish baring the brunt of it. The other tank mates seem to be fairly aggressive with each other as well chasing each other around. I have contemplated removing the smaller ones to another tank but I think I'm going to leave them where they are for awhile longer. Hopefully this will allow the aggression to be spread out among many; not just 1 or 2 that would be mercilessly be harassed.

11/27/13: Nothing much to add. Each one seems to have claimed their own little area of the aquarium and are getting along ok. Still eating like pigs and putting some size on. Added a nerite snail to help keep the algae down but that is about it. Going to do a large water change in the next couple of days.

Submit "Neolamprologus bifasciatus" to Digg Submit "Neolamprologus bifasciatus" to del.icio.us Submit "Neolamprologus bifasciatus" to StumbleUpon Submit "Neolamprologus bifasciatus" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

12/18/13: They are starting to put a little size on. They have gained from about 1/2" to 3/4ish" in length and the girth has increased as well. The aggression is still about the same. The group dynamics is interesting to watch especially with the lone shell dweller multifasciatus fry. I missed him when clearing out the tank. He is a juvi now and it is quite funny watching him run rough shod over the larger inhabitants. He is by far the smallest fish in the tank. I am not 100% sure but it looks like the largest neo has adopted the little guy. Whenever the multi starts flaring and pushing on the other neos his buddy is quick to join in on the fun and send the other neos scattering. They look like a group of children that just got caught doing something that they weren't supposed to be doing. At feeding time the largest neo tends to grab the Repashy food pieces and put them in 1 certain spot at feeding time. He then guards that area until anyone except the multi approaches. The multi is the only one that gets a free pass at dinner time. It seems like the other neos have a system worked out to where they take turns dive bombing the guardian to get his attention. Once he's distracted the other neos grab the pieces of Repashy and relocate them away from the all mighty guardian. Then the whole process starts all over again. I've been slacking on the water changes and will pick them back up over the holidays.
    1/5/14

1 down, not sure what the cause is. I just changed the water and it was belly up in the middle of the tank. It had a minor amount of damage but nothing too serious looking. Hopefully my RO/ DI filters aren't bad. That would be a major set back......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonm
    1/5/14

1 down, not sure what the cause is. I just changed the water and it was belly up in the middle of the tank. It had a minor amount of damage but nothing too serious looking. Hopefully my RO/ DI filters aren't bad. That would be a major set back......
    Please keep us posted!
    RO/DI filters are good so I'm thinking that the fish must of been singled out of the group. One of the mid range ones had for lack of better words a zit on its side. The zit popped on its own and the fish has healed up nicely. Besides those 2 issues all seem to be doing fine and growing nicely.
    1 more singled out of the group and killed.... They are slowly choosing they're tank mates...
    It looks like I have 3 that are able to be sexed at this time. I think I have 2 males and 1 female. I am uncertain of the other 2 but I am hoping that there is at least 1 more female. I am in the process of trying to pull the non dominant male and the other 2 unknowns out before the dominant male takes care of them for me.

what I am assuming is that the female, is about 1/3 smaller than the dominant male. She displays to both males but only to the non dominant male when the boss isn't around. She helps the dominant male keep the other occupants pinned in the upper corner of the tank. Since this behavior has just started, I am wondering if they have just spawned or getting ready to spawn.
    That is Awesome!