PDA

View Full Version : Pelmatochromis buettikoferi

tsunderl
01-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Anybody had one of these or know about them? I aquired one over the weekend and am nursing it back to health, but there's not a lot of information about it online.

I know it's from West Africa, Guinea to be specific. I was told that I have the male. He seems pretty mellow, but again, he's convelecsing by himself in the hospital tank.

Any info would be welcomed. Thanks!

tsunderl added 18 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Here's a pic of what he looks like...

http://www.cichlidnewsmagazine.com/issues/2006oct/images/37d.jpg

This isn't him, but very much resembles him.

kSpieler
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Not I. Best I could do is google, but then you can do that, too!

tsunderl
01-19-2009, 11:38 PM
I done did that! Got nothing to work with! :brandy:

cichlidfan
01-20-2009, 04:40 AM
T, the fish in the pic looks to me to be similar to tilapia mariae (but without the red eyes)--the pic above I believe is the same species as in the huge enclosure with the hippos at the downtown Aquarium. Believe there's some Buttikoferri in there as well--but the BK's even when small have distinct black vertical barring.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/table.php/i_14204

Mariae are somewhat mild for a large fish, mine was no problem at 7" but ate me out of house and home. Buttikoferri are fantastic looking and good citizens until about 4", then become killers. They grow quickly and respond to regular water changes.

tsunderl
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't know how old this guy is. He's definately not a Mariae. I'll try to get a picture of him in a day or so. He and his mate decided to take a leap out of the tank and he survived. She didn't. :( He was pretty shocky when I got him home but he's doing better. Seems depressed so I want to introduce him in to one of my other tanks and see how he does. I haven't seen him eat and perhaps that would intice him to eat.

kSpieler
01-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Heh...entice him to eat all your fish!

I know! I Know! Put him in the tank with the purple-leezardhead-baby-fish-eater!!! roflmao

tsunderl
01-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Karen... You are not right. :p:

tsunderl
01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I introduced Mr Fishie in to the 180long last night and he seemed to do ok. He colored up nicely and checked out every inch of the tank. He seemed to enjoy spreading his fins out. After a few confrontations with the senoir residents over territory, he settled on a spot of his own. This morning, he eagerly ate and was getting along well with the others. Looks like he's going to be ok.

cichlidfan
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Great to hear!

fishman76092
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
They are similar in temperament to Chromidotilapia guentheri. Look up info on that fish and youll be set.

sap
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM
i think mike(misplacedsooner) has some.

tsunderl
01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
They are similar in temperament to Chromidotilapia guentheri. Look up info on that fish and youll be set.

Thanks! The info I found said that they are mild mannered and stay mid to lower tank. That's pretty much what this guy's doing. He's still shy but I give him til the weekend to be up front with the rest of the beggers.