PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a lobster in there tank?

steve
09-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I bought a blue lobster last Friday and this little bugger is the coolest thing Ive seen (I guess I should get out more). I dont know much about them but he is the most interesting thing to watch. Is there anything I should know about them? It does not boher the fish just picks through the sand.

fatfutures
09-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh, he'll bother the other fish... if they get close enough for him to grab! LOL

I've got one also... LOVE him! I honestly don't know that much about them. Except they really aren't lobsters... lol. Once I get rid of the babies in my 10, I think I'm going to move him over there and add one of the zebra "lobsters" I saw at Just for Pets!

Goathead
09-17-2007, 04:01 PM
i kept them in the past, but they WILL grab fish, and they make it difficult to medicate your fish. (unless you have a hospital tank)

steve
09-17-2007, 04:15 PM
That is where I got mine Just for Pets, I will keep and eye on him. I have him in my 35g maybe I should move him to my 55g

steve
09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
This what it looks like. Not mine but it looks the same

rolloffhill
09-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I found one of them thar lobsters in my cattleguard today, he was all dried up though....:fw:

xtc
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I'd kill for a lobster right about now.

A lobster and some white wine.

Oh man.

etc
09-17-2007, 09:52 PM
It is actually a crayfish.

I have one, and thus far it hasn't bothered my bottom feeders too much...it did just molt however...so he might be more active now. Just keep him well fed with big pieces of food he can grab...like silversides.

fishyjoe24
09-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I'd kill for a lobster right about now.

A lobster and some white wine.

Oh man.

CALL ME SOMETIME and we can go out to red loster. they have 15.99 all you can eat shrip and you can get your loster.

mongo
09-18-2007, 07:38 PM
YA know, what I am having a hard time with is that I can take you to a couple of ponds out here in the "sticks" where ya can catch yer fill of "mud bugs". I was wondering how much did y'all pay for them...the reason I ask, is I am wondering if I am sitting on a gold mine of sorts? I havnt seen a blue one, but red, yellow and green ones are pretty common. We seine them up for use in fishing and for a nice boil every once in awhile. Anybody that is feeling adventerous, just drop me a PM or e-mail and we can set up a little "fishing" expedition.

biggin
09-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I am always up for fishing....

Only issue with using wild would be disease.... I wonder if you could flush them like you do before you eat them.... normally use salt and that probably would not be good for the puffers to eat....

Cost depends on where you go. $1-$3 according to Chris....

fishyjoe24
09-19-2007, 11:19 PM
what do you mean flush them i've never hear of that.

biggin
09-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Before you eat them most people put them in a big bucket / tub with either rock salt or kosher salt to flush the crap out of them. Bascially they throw up everything, wash them a couple more times and they are ready to boil....

mongo
09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I guess you could stick em in a "Q" tank for a couple of weeks to clean them out. Maybe a little meth blue or copper safe for parasites.

For flushing we use an old bath tub with a screen top. FIll it full of water and rock salt and let soak a day or two. Then you run the hose in a flush all the old water out for 24 hours...while your heating up the boiling kettle.

I guess I could go seine a couple of ponds and see what we dredge up. Then if anyone is interested, I could post pics. Dont knowwhat I would get, but it might be interesting.

biggin
09-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I would love to go dredge a pond(tank for those Texans....). That would be cool. As a kid that was all I did was played in creeks, ponds and lakes.... I brought home all sorts of stuff poisonous or not.... got in trouble a number of times but learned real quick that dad did not like the cotton mouth coming home.

mongo
09-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah I know what ya mean...one of the worst whoopins I ever got from my mom...she went to wash a pair of my jeans, and the pocket started moving as the water came up. When she stuck her hand in to see what it was...a foot long green grass snake crawled out. My mom is deathly afraid of snakes by the way. You probaly heard her scream all the way out to Oklahoma.

ElijahTurtle
09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Hahaha sounds like us growing up. We had several stock ponds on the property. One that would dry up every summer, we would always seine it in the spring to play with the crawdads. Kept a bunch in an aquarium out back. One time we got a nice surprise & seined up a huge alligator snappin turtle. That was lots of fun as he was pretty PO'd about being disturbed. As for the mud bugs, they tolerate chlorinated tap water pretty well. So that might be a way to kill parasites in them. Flush them then keep them in tap water for a while.

biggin
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
I drug home (actually drug him by his tail) a alligator snapper that was about 55lbs.... my dad was pissed.... It was good times at my house if it crawled, swam or did something interesting, pretty much I would bring it home.

chebert22
10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
This is actually a crawfish. I am from Louisiana and my uncle raises these in his ponds. Over the last season we have caught about 4 or 5 blue crawfish, or as they are being called "lobsters," and we have even caught a few that are almost white . I have seen them advertised for $35 or more on tropical fish sites, and it absolutely kills me, I have to laugh, since we catch them in the crawfish ponds every season. They are very sensitive to water temperature changes, trust me I've killed a few. The last one we had molted once, and died after a water change. AND THEY WILL EAT THE FISH. Considering crawfish are baited with fish parts, or cut up pieces of fish, they aren't shy about grabbing and munching. They also need a place to burry themselves, since they burry themselves extremely deep in mud when found in nature. Hence the name "mud-bugs." You can find more information about keeping "lobsters", or crawfish through the LSU Ag Center websites. They have a whole "aqua-culture" division, since crawfish are such a large part of Louisiana Economy.

chebert22
10-03-2007, 08:58 PM
And flushing them with salt water will kill them, just like Katrina and Rita did when they blew salt water from the gulf inland and messed up the crawfish ponds for a few years... Its normally called "Purging" when we boil them in Louisiana. The salt water causes them to get the excrement out of their tails. Its normally only done for about 10 minutes, directly before we put them in the pot, otherwise they die prior to cooking.

chebert22
10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
oh, and for feeding you can also used deer corn, rabbit feed, cattle cubes, horse pellets, etc... Feed like this with a high percentage of protein will cause them to grow bigger and molt faster. Commercial crawfish farmers use large blocks of feed that look like an overgrown cattle cube. They place one or two per cage and crawfish flock to it.

EAST_TX_RN
10-04-2007, 06:31 AM
There is such a thing as prairie craw-fish that make mounds out in pastures, bar-ditches, and such, and cover their hole with a mud-pie until the next rain. They taste muddy compared to the Louisiana type, but great for bait! I think you hit on a goldmine Mongo! Where do the blue ones come from? When I was 12 and wandering down that mocassin-infested creek in Garland, I came across a huge red crawfish one time. A neighbor told me it was a fresh-water lobster. Even the claws were shaped like a lobster. Anybody have any clues on that?

EAST_TX_RN
10-04-2007, 06:40 AM
I was a devoted prairie craw-dad fisher as a child. One time I caught a bunch of baby dads and thought I would keep them as pets in our water-fan(aka swamp cooler). I even put blue food dye in there for them, to make it look like a blue lagoon. It was my job anyway to keep the fan full of water. I kind of forgot about them until about a week later when my mom starting complaining about the stench in the house and she sourced it to the water fan. She went out and had a fit when she saw all those rotten crawdads in the bottom of the fan.....Got another switching for that, I can tell ya!

chebert22
10-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Louisiana crawfish can taste "muddy" too depending on where you get them from. Some farmers aerate their water every other day, some only once a week, and some only once a month. Depending on the quality of water, amount and type of grasses in the pond, and how "muddy" the water is all affect their taste. If you were to take those prairie crawfish, put them in a pond for a while, you would see them change from a greenish color, to a redish color as they grow. They are all the same kind, its just that farmers in Louisiana, have learned enough about them to breed them to grow larger and longer.

I believe that I have read that crawfish are found on every continent except Antarctica. I also recall reading that crawfish will burry themselves up to 700 feet below the earths surface during the summer months, which is why you see the "mud-pie" shaped cylinder sticking out of ditches and moist pastures.

Jim2982
10-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I had a blue crayfish for awhile. It was really cool. It kept moving all the gravel out from under this one rock and building a wall around that little entrance it made for itself. It was awesome. But, a few weeks later I was watching my newly bought clown loaches swimming around on the bottom. I didn't even see the crayfish hiding behind a rock. As the loach swam out from next to the rock...WHAM! Mr. Crayfish had himself dinner. And back to the LFS it went. :)

UncleSamsPuppet
10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I've heard lots of stories like that. People get them not knowing they'll eventually get large enough to eat anything in the tank.

I've seen several 12"+ at the LFS with "NOT FOR SALE" written on the tank.

fatfutures
10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, my blue ate one of the boesmani this past weekend. I knew it was him... no body and he was so full he barely moved for days.

Fortunately, everyone else in the tank is much bigger than he is. He'll be moved to his own tank fairly soon though... just in case.

xtc
10-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, my blue ate one of the boesmani this past weekend. I knew it was him... no body and he was so full he barely moved for days.

Fortunately, everyone else in the tank is much bigger than he is. He'll be moved to his own tank fairly soon though... just in case.

Peanut would be more than happy to put him back in "food chain" line. :hehe:

fatfutures
10-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Peanut's gonna have to go without! Sheeeeeeeesh! As if he doesn't get enough!

I love this blue critter! As soon as the rest of the brichardi are big enough to go, he'll get the ten gallon.

UPDATE: Blue dude just blew another shell. That's the second time in less than approx 3 months. How often do these guys molt? Those babies need to grow faster, I need the tank space.

chebert22
10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Crawfish molt very often as they are growing. They need new shells every couple of months to allow for the increase in body size. Thats why its also important to have places for them to hide when they are "soft shelled"

kewlkatdady
10-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I've had these with africans in the past...
once they molt...the fish would kill them...

I had two...one got ate and the other got out...

they are climbers so make sure that your tank is well sealed