PDA

View Full Version : Ultraviolet Sterilizers

Travis_Conklin
08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Alright how do you gauge what size sterilizer you need? Does it go like wattage, a certain percentage like light in order to grow plants, if so does anyone know the percentage? Just throwing it out there don't know how to go about gauging this. I was looking at some online and they get pretty expensive real quick, so I wouldn't want to spend more than I had to, if I don't have to.

tsunderl
08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I've read to try to get the highest wattage possible. All of mine are 25watt.

biggin
08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I do not know what the percentage is but 25w is too much for anything under 55g....

It will kill your cycle....

flamenco-t
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
With UV sterilizer, the way water flow into the chambers is FAR more important that the wattage of the bulbs.

Contact time is crucial on UV sterilizer. IF the water flows too fast, it won't be as effective...

What size tank do you have ? what kind of bio load do you have ?

Honestly IMO, if you practice QT every incoming fish for at least 4 weeks (most parasite cycle within 3 weeks). Keep up with your water changes, there's never any need for an UV sterilizer...

glostik
08-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Always buy the largest wattage you can afford, its all about how fast the water flows in the unit, not about how many watts it is.

Theres not enough good bacteria in the water column for a UV sterilizer to affect your cycle.

I like the UV because it keeps my water clear, damn algae. Its also nice to have peace of mind that free-floating organisms will be zapped.

Travis_Conklin
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the information guys...now I am off to go shopping.