PDA

View Full Version : Threadfin Acara (Acarichthys heckelii) ?

Ausprig
02-13-2016, 10:27 AM
OK, so I had ask about this species in the wrong area previously (thanks for the replies) since then I ordered 1 single A. heckelii along with a group of Geophagus Redhead Tapajos. Now I'm kind of wishing I would have at least gotten a couple Threadfins instead of just a single.
My question now is, are these guys aggressive with each other? If I end up with 2 males or females will they nip each other's fins or 1 end up bullied to death?

papasmurf
02-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Depends on the size of the tank...they are supposed to be more aggressive than most geophagus but not as aggressive as centrals and larger south american species. In a six foot or larger tank you will probably be okay...they do get fairly large.

Ausprig
02-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Tank size 180 gallon 6ft x 2ft footprint 2ft tall... lots of mixed information out there, I've read 5" to 6" max size then I've read elsewhere they can reach 9" so, just trying to get a little more information from someone with experience keeping these fish. Have to say as juveniles they are absolutely a pigfish... mine arrived @ 2.5" and immediately started eating after acclimation & almost takes food out of other fish's mouths at feeding time!

papasmurf
02-13-2016, 01:54 PM
I would say closer to 8-9" though it could take a long time for them to grow to this size. The tapajos will reach 6-7" and they are considered one of the smaller eartheaters.

Ausprig
02-13-2016, 02:30 PM
I think I'll just stick with the 1 Threadfin... I was originally interested in the Geophagus Winemilleri but went with the Tapajos because of the size difference. Seen a Winemilleri group in a 180 gal & looked overstocked IMO. Going to let these guys grow out for a year or so.
Thanks for the feedback Papasmurf!

Maybe I can convince my Wife that we need a 500 to 1000 gallon tank, then i can look into more fish... lol