PDA

View Full Version : Clown Loaches and shrimp

Good Wolf
07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I recently put twelve amano shrimp in my tank and there are only two or three left. I cleand out my filters tonight expecting to find some dead or even some live one but no such luck. I've had three large amanos in my tank since I set it up and they are fine.

So I'm sitting here wondering what might have happened to them when I decided to do a search on clown loaches and shrimp. I've seen 50/50 respones.

A lot of people say they don't even touch their small ghost shrimp and others say they will eat anything they can, including shrimp.

I highly doubt my tetra ate them but I'm not discounting that either.

The odd thing is I that I haven't found body parts or any sign of them at at all.

What do you think?

ElijahTurtle
07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah I would put my money on any fish that can get to them. They don't have to be able to swallow them to eat them.

biggin
07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
If a fish can it will....

Basically if they can make a tasty snack out of your shrimp they are going to....

rolloffhill
07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I had/have 2 Clown loaches in my planted tank along with about 8-10 RCS. I now can't even count the amount of RCS in the tank at one time. I usually find some living in my filters and put them back in the tank.

jimmyk
07-22-2008, 07:15 AM
My clown loaches will eat shrimp and LOVE snails. I would trust them around any Crustacean or Cephalopod.

Good Wolf
07-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I had/have 2 Clown loaches in my planted tank along with about 8-10 RCS. I now can't even count the amount of RCS in the tank at one time. I usually find some living in my filters and put them back in the tank.

So if I get two dozen I should have enough of them to keep the population up. That is all I'm really worried about.

It sounds like a win/win. I get to have some perty shrimp in the tank and the clowns get some nice treats.

rolloffhill
07-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I have lots of cover for the shrimp to hide also, so keep that in mind.

They seem to spend a lot of time in/on the water sprite and water wisteria.

I started with 2 good sized RCS from Cahn (JFP) and added about 10 more juvies later.

Good Wolf
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I picked up a couple dozen tonight, thanks Mike!

They have taken to my carpet/bush of hygro bold and sunset. They also seem to like hanging out on the ambulia. I took out my african root to tie on a new plant I got, thanks again Mike, and I found three little amano shrimp inside of it so I guess the death ratio wasn't as bad as I thought.

I'll let you know what the population looks like the morning.

bra8ndy8
07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Congrats on the new shrimp! I was wanting to add some to my 75.....but I didn't know how good they would do with my dwarf cichlids.

Good Wolf
07-22-2008, 10:57 PM
My wife used to feed ghost shrimp to her cichlids and these guys are about the same size.

They could just be hiding really well but I think some of them have already been picked off. I'm just hoping enough survive to get a decent population boost and then it should be smooth sailing.

bra8ndy8
07-22-2008, 10:59 PM
They could be in your filters......or hiding under your root again!

Good Wolf
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Well I'm down to around 3-4 shrimp out of over two dozen. The survivors are hanging out at the very top of one of the filter intakes next to the water line. I did take out the filters and couldn't see any on the media. I guess they could be hanging out in the filter itself but I'll have to wait until I do the next water change to check that out.

I'm not entirely sure it was the Clowns that did it. I only have one clown that really comes out when the lights are on and the shrimp were nearly gone a few hours after I put them in the tank.

I'm guessing the Tetra, even though they are well feed, made short work of them. Lesson learned.

I'll be on the look out for a ten or twenty gallon tank/stand so that I can have smaller shrimp and let them live in piece.

I will say that the amano shrimps that are a decent size are doing fine so I should be able to keep several different type of shrimp so long as they aren't tiny like the Cherries.

bra8ndy8
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
That stinks......I got a couple of Bamboo shrimp.....about 2 inches, and someone got them!!

Good Wolf
07-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah, at least the fish are eating good right? sigh