PDA

View Full Version : Stupid electricity

supermome
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
So we lost our electricity in the rain that came through. I didn't worry too much since it was only out for about 6-7 hours and its been out longer than that and all the fish survived. Got up today and most of my gouramis were dead along with most of my daughter's guppies. Everything else survived even stuff that was in the same tanks with the ones that died.
It is so aggravating.

So, what do you guys do about your fish when the electricity goes out. Just hope for the best? or is there something I should have done?

biggin
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
You could get batter operated air pumps they are pretty cheap at Walmart.

Battery backups would work.

bra8ndy8
07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Or drain the tank really low.

doughboy
07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Just curious, how would draining the tank really low help? I would think that it might stress the fish even more.

kewlkatdady
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
x2

Just curious, how would draining the tank really low help? I would think that it might stress the fish even more.

sap
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I had a power outage and lowered water in my tanks and ran battery backups off and on for 12 hours, the less water you have in the tank , the easier it is to keep the oxygen levels up in the remaining water..

bra8ndy8
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
That's what I had to do when I was with out electric about 8 yrs ago for over a week during a ice storm......I also added a live well pump, and wrapped the tank in blankets to keep the temp stable. It worked.....I only lost 1 fish out of about 50!

bra8ndy8 added 0 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Thanks Sap for the backup!

biggin
07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
In a smaller tank I would not advise lowering the water level. In Brandys 300g that is a good idea but in a 30g tank you go down to 15g and now you have to worry about your water going septic.

goose8651
07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
I was in the bad ice storm that went through Oklahoma this past season. I was out of electricity for 6 days. My stove was electric, so I could not heat up water or anything. I luckily had about 3 blankets, so I wrapped my tank with the blankets. That is about all that I could do. i also went out and bought a eletric temperatur gauge and the lowest that my water got to was a about 54 degrees. i still to this day do not know how all of my fish made it except one. I fed them once and that was it.

bra8ndy8
07-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I lowered my 100 gallon down to 25%.......I didn't have the 300 then.

supermome
07-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Our biggest here is 35 right now, so it doesn't sound like lowering the water would be too good of an idea. I am going to look for some sort of battery back up system.
We lose our electricity quite often here (seems like every time the wind blows, it goes out). Usually its only out for 30 min - 1 hour, but about 5 or 6 times a year it goes out for several hours. I think the back up system would end up cheaper than replacing half my fish every couple of months.

Goathead
07-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I bought a generator for $150, but i havent had to use it. I figured better safe than sorry. You can find them for pretty cheap on a regular basis.

bgk245
07-17-2008, 11:32 AM
So sorry to hear that!

In a moment of personal stupidity, I once turned off the power strip to do maintenance on my 25, and forgot to turn it on for about 2 days. The fish were hovering very still by the time I turned it back on, but I didn't lose any. And a couple of years ago we had a 12 hour power outage without any losses either, so I'm surprised that you lost some of your fish, especially gouramis - they're labyrith fish like bettas, so probably it wasn't O2 levels so much as a buildup of toxins.

Living in thunderstorm land, I keep a battery powered air pump, which could be rotated among the tanks (the 25, 29, and 2 10's) in a pinch. If each of them gets a good churn every few hours, I figure that will sustain them while the pump goes on to the next tank. The only other concern I'd have would be to keep the filter media wet. I figure that would be good for at least a couple of days.

flamenco-t
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Your fish shouldn't die in 6-7 hours. Most of us in fishkeeping hobby have lost power for way longer duration than 6-7 hours.

What was your average temp ? what was the temp in 6-7 hours ?

The temp shocks can kill your fish faster than having lesser dissolved oxygen in the tank.

stan

supermome
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Your fish shouldn't die in 6-7 hours. Most of us in fishkeeping hobby have lost power for way longer duration than 6-7 hours.

I was suprised also. Back in April we lost power for about 15 - 16 hours and didn't lose any fish.
I have wondered about the temp issue. I keep the tank at about 76 normally. It was up at about 82 - 83 by the time the power comes back on.

Hopefully I can find something good to keep the tanks running when the power goes out. This is part of why I have NO interest in keeping salt water fish. With the price of those fish, I would be really mad about this.

bra8ndy8
07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Check the pawn shops for a generator.

Goathead
07-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Check the pawn shops for a generator.

check Craigslist as well..

ambitionz
07-17-2008, 11:25 PM
I was in the bad ice storm that went through Oklahoma this past season. I was out of electricity for 6 days. My stove was electric, so I could not heat up water or anything. I luckily had about 3 blankets, so I wrapped my tank with the blankets. That is about all that I could do. i also went out and bought a eletric temperatur gauge and the lowest that my water got to was a about 54 degrees. i still to this day do not know how all of my fish made it except one. I fed them once and that was it.

you had no electricity and you went a bought a electric temperature gauge roflmao

battery operated right? lol

kSpieler
07-18-2008, 01:09 AM
...mine (temperature gauge) just sticks on the glass...or floats around...

Question...I have a Fluval 405 canister under my 55...if the power goes out, and the pump stops, is all my water going to syphon out??? I already know that if the power goes off, all my HoBs will syphon back into the tank - then not have any water left in them when the power comes back on.