PDA

View Full Version : FWa is teaming up with Red Oak School District and we need your help

brianfwa
07-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Yesterday I got the privilege of meeting a man from Red Oak School District. He is a campus officer and is trying to have another approach for disciplining troubled teens. Instead of sending them to get lectured in the principles office, he wants them to go to an area in the school where there is a fish tank and to sit and watch fish for awhile and calm down. This touched me since fish and wildlife is about the only thing that can get me to think on another level. I am proud to announce that FireWater Aquatics is now teaming up with Red Oak School District on this project, but we need your help. I am giving him everything he needs at cost, and donating a few fish, but this is not enough. He needs your help on donations. $1, $5, whatever you can do. Spare tanks, filtration, anything. I would also like to reach out to other school districts in DFW, I believe this is a great program, and I think every kid in every school could benefit from this. If you have any questions please contact me at 817-475-6882 or just drop on in at the store to make your donation. 6651 Watauga Rd suite 110 Watauga, Tx 76148

Tugg
07-08-2014, 09:55 AM
What are you looking to put in it, Planted Freshwater or a Reef? A shopping/wish list would help a lot. I think you'll get a LOT more fauna, flora, and equipment than you will dollars.

What size tanks are we talking about?

brianfwa
07-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Freshwater, anything would help. Cichlid tank, plated tank, whatever. Tank size no clue yet

Tugg
07-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Well, if you go planted I'm sure the APC members would help where they can. My Echinorodus bleheri 'Compacta' (smallish amazon sword) has a few runners with several plantlets on them. A few have dropped some long roots and can probably be pulled off and replanted. Stems are easy to come by since they grow so fast. I also have plenty of cherry shrimp, though if you're going to have fish, then it would need to be established and heavily planted before we added them. We may even be able to get APC to have a meeting at the school and do the initial tank setup/scape. If you're interested in that, then once the hardware has been locked on, we can see about scheduling something.

If you go Cichlids, then I'd hit up the TCA and see who can help with what over there.

Imprezadude
07-08-2014, 07:28 PM
I can do a trimming if he wants to do a planted tank. speaking of tanks, my friend is looking for a 20-29 gallon she could set up for her 3 year old.

carddude123
07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Brian, do you need any victorian or peacocks donated. I would be willing to donate some.

brianfwa
07-08-2014, 09:55 PM
That'd be awesome. I've got someone donating a 10 gal and a 40 breeder so far. Ill speak to him about setting up a meeting there
I can do a trimming if he wants to do a planted tank. speaking of tanks, my friend is looking for a 20-29 gallon she could set up for her 3 year old.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes please. He has a tank setup right now and we are doing it with Africans. I'm taking him a few this weekend
Brian, do you need any victorian or peacocks donated. I would be willing to donate some.

Shazray
07-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Brian, have a look here: http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/vb4/showthread.php?34550-Grants-for-teachers-to-set-up-fish-or-reptile-displays-in-their-classroom

carddude123
07-09-2014, 12:40 AM
I have in mind a Hippo Salmon male, Hongi Red Top male, Tropheop Yellow Mauve, German Red, a Sp. Fire Uganda male. Their all small but are all showing colors and will really color up in a male only tank.

When I come in on Friday to pay for my Loaches we can discuss how and when I can get these fish to you and the school.

brianfwa
07-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Thank you, I spoke with them yesterday in fact. Great people
Brian, have a look here: http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/vb4/showthread.php?34550-Grants-for-teachers-to-set-up-fish-or-reptile-displays-in-their-classroom

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good to me, thanks!
I have in mind a Hippo Salmon male, Hongi Red Top male, Tropheop Yellow Mauve, German Red, a Sp. Fire Uganda male. Their all small but are all showing colors and will really color up in a male only tank.

When I come in on Friday to pay for my Loaches we can discuss how and when I can get these fish to you and the school.