PDA

View Full Version : WTT: Tired of you planted tank? Want a new setup?

Sleepingtiger
03-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Thread title states it all. Are you looking for something new? Did you want some nice africans but never had a chance for whatever reason? Tired of looking at your planted tank? If you say yes, lets work out a deal where we will both benefit.

I have a beautiful Oceanic 105G RR with furniture quality stand and canopy. The aquarium, stand and canopy is about 6'. When i acquired the aquarium, i strip the old finish and restained with several layers of poly. It comes with a wet dry filter, mag-12 (i think), LED lights (works intermittant), heater and test kit, and lots of rocks. Livestock, i have 5 f1 moba's with the biggest around 6", 1m jacobfreibergi and 2m german red peacocks. All three fish have colored up and look great. 1m/1fm tropheus bulu point. several strawberry peacocks and 1 xl yoyo loach.

This is what i am looking for. A none reef ready planted tank. It has to be furniture quality stand and hood. size should be 70g and above. as for as equipment, i am looking for a CO2 system with a 5lbs tank, needle valve, regulator, bubble counter. I don't need a controller as I already have one. I prefer a canister filter like a fx5, please no HOB. It doesn't have to come with livestock, but it would be nice. I am not looking for a dollar to dollar trade, but if its something I am looking for, I don't mind being on the short end of the stick. Please if you're interested, pm me and work something out. Thanks!!

rmalford
03-10-2014, 11:29 AM
If you decide to part out the livestock or if someone is interested in equipment only I will take the peacocks depending on price. Thanks

ed2414
03-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Same here I would take the 5 mobas (depending on price) if u decide to part out

Tugg
03-10-2014, 11:49 AM
There is no reason you can't use that tank for plants. The only real change would be lights and replacing a wet/dry with something that has submerged drains and media. A 20g tank with an HMF foam baffel would get the job done cheap, though more complex options are available.

Phonetic Diabetic
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Interested in the trophs.

Tugg
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Sounds like someone needs to post some pics and part this sucker out. :D

Also, whats up with the "intermittant" LEDs? Whats the problem? What make/model?

Michael
03-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Who could ever get tired of looking at a good planted tank?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Sleepingtiger
03-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks everyone for their interest. at this point i would like to trade and not mess with the hassle of selling. if i do sell it, my wife will only take the cash then leave me with an empty aquarium. LOL

There is no reason you can't use that tank for plants. The only real change would be lights and replacing a wet/dry with something that has submerged drains and media. A 20g tank with an HMF foam baffel would get the job done cheap, though more complex options are available.

i still think there is too much water/air interaction even with the submerged drains. i am mostly worried about the water traveling from the aquarium to the filter. I could keep the aquarium and do a fx5, but i would have that nasty looking overflow box in the back and i would also have to plug up that drain. its do-able, but too lazy :)

Sounds like someone needs to post some pics and part this sucker out. :D

Also, whats up with the "intermittant" LEDs? Whats the problem? What make/model?

its the marineland double bright 24". too lazy to take it apart and TS. probably the drivers are bad since the light flickers

i hope someone is, because my wife is tired of looking at an aquarium full of rocks/boulders.

Tugg
03-10-2014, 02:15 PM

I thought the same thing when I first read it, then I realized he was trying to get one, not sell one. :D I still say sell the fish, replace the substrate with Mineralized Top Soil (MTS), buy a swarm of Malaysian Trumpet Snails (also go by MTS). Then join APC (http://www.aquatic-plants.org) and plant that 105. The 48x18 footprint should work out great for plants (assuming that's what it is).

Phonetic Diabetic
03-10-2014, 02:16 PM
if i do sell it, my wife will only take the cash then leave me with an empty aquarium. LOL.

i hope someone is, because my wife is tired of looking at an aquarium full of rocks/boulders.

Sounds to me like you need to trade the wife, not the tank. :hehe:

Tugg
03-10-2014, 02:41 PM
I have a 55g sump on a 55g display. Its doable.

Sleepingtiger
03-11-2014, 08:52 AM
I thought the same thing when I first read it, then I realized he was trying to get one, not sell one. :D I still say sell the fish, replace the substrate with Mineralized Top Soil (MTS), buy a swarm of Malaysian Trumpet Snails (also go by MTS). Then join APC (http://www.aquatic-plants.org) and plant that 105. The 48x18 footprint should work out great for plants (assuming that's what it is).

i never thought i would get tired some of the fish i buy, but it happens. i used to have a planted tank, got tired of paying premium price for vho bulbs and power compact bulbs and got rid of the tank. now with todays led, its no longer an issue.

your signature, are you sure you're new to the hobby and u just google everything? Yes my aquarium has a 48x18 foot print. for a planted aquarium, i want something deep, i would actually prefer an aquarium that is 48x24x24. I can do some crazy aquascape that will be multi dimensional with layers upon layers for that added 3d effect.

Sounds to me like you need to trade the wife, not the tank. :hehe:

i would, but i would then loose my only source of income. :)

I have a 55g sump on a 55g display. Its doable.

unless you got a reef tank and really need that extra space for a refugium.... i don't see why you need all that space for a fresh water tank. trying not to sound like a smartAz, why do you have a 55g sump on a fresh water tank?

Tugg
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
your signature, are you sure you're new to the hobby and u just google everything? Yes my aquarium has a 48x18 foot print. for a planted aquarium, i want something deep, i would actually prefer an aquarium that is 48x24x24. I can do some crazy aquascape that will be multi dimensional with layers upon layers for that added 3d effect.
Well yes, a 120g would be nicer :) Bigger always is. I was just saying that as long as the tank was not a shallow one with perhaps a 60-72" length, then it would be sufficient. I HATE that my 55 is only 12". I have NO mid-ground. Also, yes I'm new. In the last 9 months I've dove head first into this hobby and have done a LOT of reading. I'm also proficient with google, which helps a lot. :D

unless you got a reef tank and really need that extra space for a refugium.... i don't see why you need all that space for a fresh water tank. trying not to sound like a smartAz, why do you have a 55g sump on a fresh water tank?
Mainly because I could; but also because I don't trust myself. Being new, I wanted the extra stability to my water. Also, with a planted tank, it allows the system to hold more fertilizer/co2 while still keeping the PPMs low and safe for the fish/inverts. It helps that I bought two tanks from drag13honda for a GREAT price (basically $0.50/gal). From the beginning I've intended to get a 125 to replace the current display, so then it would be 125 w/ a 55 sump. I've already scratched that idea. The 55 just takes too much space in my stand (overbuilt for a 72x18 footprint). Getting into it is a task, and with a 20# CO2 tank, I have no room for anything else. I've just gotten an old 29g from rmalford that I'm going to clean up and replace the sump with.

Sleepingtiger
03-24-2014, 02:51 PM
c'mon folks.... do you have just a nice display tank that isn't reef ready, i'll trade with you.

this tank is nice! i worked for days sanding down the original stain and restained it myself.

rmalford
03-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Ed and I are still interested in livestock if you change your mind to part out.