PDA

View Full Version : Best LFS for trade-ins

Good Wolf
06-21-2008, 10:06 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread I just created I'm picking up a new tank tomorrow. I'll need to trade in or rehome three grown angel fish, a foot long pleco, a misc. loach, and possibly some rainbow fish.

Chris said that I could give Just for Pets a call and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this as well. I know DNA is out of the question because they only give one third of the fishes actual value.

I'm hoping to trade them in for a large group of Cardinals and/or a couple of loaches to go with the zebra I'll be getting with the tank. I know Just for Pets doesn't keep much stock on hand but from what I understand they can get anything in that is requested.

dpatterson
06-21-2008, 10:13 AM
you might try fish gallery they allways have a good selection. but i dont know about the trade-ins. i traded in 4 little fancy tail goldfish and got like 2 bucks store credit. it might be better with better fish. idk

Good Wolf
06-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I juts called JFP and Richey said they can take them all but they only offer 1/3 to 1/5 the sale price. I'm ok with that if I can't find a better deal but I would prefer to get more bang for the fish so to say.

supersmirky
06-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow...not much. Try Fish Gallery then like Patterson said. They do have an excellent selection

Good Wolf
06-21-2008, 05:52 PM
I've been meaning to go by there anyways. That is my brother's LFS and he has nothing but good things to say about it. Plus they discount Cardinals down to two bucks a pop when you buy them in qty.

Thanks for all the help finding and deciding on the tank Chris. You da' man.

BTW Richey had really good things to say about you. When I told him my name was Chris too he got a laugh out of that and said that it shouldn't be hard to remember.

supersmirky
06-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey no prob! That's what we are here for...helping each other out. I'm glad you finally found one.

And yeah...can't beat JFP. :hehe:

sap
06-21-2008, 06:38 PM
most stores are going to give you 1/3 retail price and you wont get anything for the pleco..... I do regular business at a local LFS so sometimes i might get a little more maybe 35-40 % I always set a number of how much I want and what I am willing to settle for.......usually I end up somewhere between

biggin
06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Scott, hit the nail on the head. If you do business at a LFS they give you a little better credit, have a price in mind and what you will settle for.

most stores are going to give you 1/3 retail price and you wont get anything for the pleco..... I do regular business at a local LFS so sometimes i might get a little more maybe 35-40 % I always set a number of how much I want and what I am willing to settle for.......usually I end up somewhere between

flamenco-t
06-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Best trade in LFS ? the most expensive LFS that you'll never buy from..

DNA is a good example..

Good Wolf
06-22-2008, 12:42 AM
The problem with that is I would have to trade for their lousy stock. :(

I think I'm just going to go to JFP. They have already said they will take them and I would like to start developing a relationship with an LFS that is some what close by other than Petsmart.

They don't have much stock on hand but as you know they can order per request. They did say that I would have to able to pick them up the day that they arrived which might be an issue but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

sap
06-22-2008, 12:47 AM
dry goods are what I usually purchase with my instore credit.

fatfutures
06-22-2008, 06:18 AM
JFP may not have a huge quantity ofl ivestock but, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality and diversity of what they DO have!

Oh and just FYI, they are closed on Sunday. :D

Good Wolf
06-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Doh! I told Richey I would be by there today. I guess he weren't thinking.

supersmirky
06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
They did say that I would have to able to pick them up the day that they arrived which might be an issue but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If you are referring to fish orders, it's actually never good to pick them up the day they arrive. You get a lot of stock that dies off from the trip, acclimation, etc.

Good Wolf
06-22-2008, 04:57 PM
I figured as much but that is what Richey told me when I asked about getting some Cardinals in. Luckily I ended up stocking the tank today so I don't think I'll be making any orders.

paige
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Fish Gallery is great for trade-ins. I took in a rather large sailfin pleco once. The manager actually came up and told the sales guy to give me more for it because it was one of the best looking ones he'd seen! So of course I love them because they complimented my fish.

Haiven
07-02-2008, 05:07 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if I repeat what someone else said.

My strong suggestions is:

DO ALL TRADE-INS at DNA!!!! Their livestock prices are way higher than anyone else's, so 1/3 of their price is much better than elsewhere. Use the store credit for food, meds, etc.

Buy your fish at JFP or Fish Gallery where the prices are better.

jgauna
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Never thought of it that way Haiven but it makes sense when you think about it.
Thankx