PDA

View Full Version : LFS of choice...

Mrs Wolf
06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Please forgive me, it this has already been discussed (I'm new here :p:)

What are your favorite local stores?

Good Wolf
06-12-2008, 09:55 AM
I haven't been very impressed with Dallas North. I've seen them selling out of multiple tanks that have ich. Every time I go there nearly every tank has dead fish that are half eaten. I've gotten to peppered Cory from there and both died. I will say the false julies I've bought a few months ago are doing great *knock on wood*. I did buy some Amano shrimp and a SAE from there this week and they are doing ok so far. They are right next to my work so although I'm jaded I find myself going there time after time.

The best one I've found in the area is Pet Boutique. The people there know their stuff, and they have a great selection of fish/plants.

We went by Plano Pets the other day and all the fish looked great. I did notice the prices were a bit high, but you get what you pay for right?

I have yet to make it by the Fish Gallery but that is my brother's main store. He hasn't had any problems with the stock there and they are great at throwing him discounts for buying in bulk.

I might get some heat from this one but the Pet Smart next to our house at 190 and Garland road is pretty good. They keep up with their tanks and I've had pretty good luck with their stock. You can't beat their two week warranty either.

supersmirky
06-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I agree with DNA....always selling diseased fish etc. But that would stress the importance of having a QT tank set up for that very problem.

I really like Just For Pets....if they don't have it in stock, they can get it. Great guys and very knowledgeable. I don't mind the Petsmart over off 190 either...it's not bad. If you buy equipment, always check their online prices as it is cheaper online...then take in the printout and they match it. Petsmart and Petco's sell you plants that aren't really aquatic a bunch of the time.

And of course, The fish gallery is really good too. They especially have a good plant selection

xtc
06-12-2008, 10:17 AM
I'mma Just For Pets person myself. Those guys rock! Other than that- I like The Fish Gallery- that's just a no brainer.

Hit Just For Pets and you too will be sold- and it sounds like they're sort of in your area of travel (Belt Line and Coit)

ElijahTurtle
06-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Fish Gallery is great. It's one of the few stores I will drive to get to. Haven't been to JFP yet, but that seems to be a common favorite around the box since the owners will typically jump through hoops to get you what you want. I typically shop wherever is closest. Right now that's True Percula. I like it, but prices are high on EQ & dry goods, but I rarely buy that stuff anymore. I don't really buy fish anymore either. I'm pretty content with the way my tank is currently setup.
When we move to Hurst(hopefully) I'll have to find a closer LFS that I like.

dcacjc
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I will throw another vote for Just for Pets, great guys and they will always work with you.

Good Wolf
06-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I guess we are going to have to go by there. I haven't ever heard of them until now, and it isn't too terribly far from my work.

EAST_TX_RN
06-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I live 30 minutes east of Dallas, so I usually go to the Mesquite Petsmart for dry goods. I highly recommend JFP, they are just a nice as can be, the prices are great, they give good discounts, and have beautiful tanks of very healthy fish! I would be in there every week if I didn't live so far away!

jgauna
06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
JFP as well
Never been to the fish gallery, plan to soon.

Good Wolf
06-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow, is JFP got you all in it's pocket book or what?

I guess they don't have to pay for advertising. I'm going to check it out this weekend for sure.

xtc
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Believe it or not- they earned it! The quality is always high, the price is always right (and chances are great that you'll get an additional discount off the already low tank listed price).

I happen to love em cause they're super close to me.

Go check it out for yourself and let us know whatcha think.

bra8ndy8
06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
They aren't close to you now!!! LOL you moved silly!

But I would have to 6x.....JFP is my favorite as well!!

nicole4983
06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Plano Pets is right across the street from me, so I'm in there all the time. Almost all of my fish have come from there, and to date not a single one has died and they all look great. The prices are consistently a bit higher than most other places, but IMO it's worth it. Make sure you ask to talk to the owner or his wife..they're always there and they're extremely knowledgable. They don't have too great of a selection for tanks or tank supplies, though.

biggin
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
You should ask him(the owner) to check out our site....;)

Plano Pets is right across the street from me, so I'm in there all the time. Almost all of my fish have come from there, and to date not a single one has died and they all look great. The prices are consistently a bit higher than most other places, but IMO it's worth it. Make sure you ask to talk to the owner or his wife..they're always there and they're extremely knowledgable. They don't have too great of a selection for tanks or tank supplies, though.

bra8ndy8
06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I like Plano Pets.... I havent had anyone die.......and I also got Tank my Sulcata Tortoise from there!!:D

sailfin2
06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Never visited Just for Pets, but Cahn was great about sending me the Magnum Filter from last month's photo contest. Very nice and courteous.

Anyone know any fish stores SOUTH of the Metroplex ?

Gees, I am in Ovilla/Red Oak.... and feel like I am an the Boonies when it comes to Fish Stores. The Petorama in Waxahachie is so full of Duckweed, I dare getting something from there, plus to many dead, rotting fish seen.

I have visited DNA- never can get the same answer twice? The Fish Gallery is Great, and my choice, but is a good drive.

EAST_TX_RN
06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Good Wolf, go check out JFP, then you will know why everybody is bragging on the place.

greeneyed
06-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I want to go see this place myself, but it is halfway around the world from me.
Hopefully soon....

Haiven
06-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Not only do I love the Boutique and JFP, if you're going westward you HAVE to check out the Fish Place on Green Oaks at I30.

Those are my three favorites, and all three mean a LONG drive for me.

sap
06-12-2008, 04:03 PM
keller farms

kewlkatdady
06-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Pet Village in Duncanville is pretty good. He always has smaller africans and they are not the commons you see everywhere else.

He also has some of the nicest holey rock in the metroplex.

Never visited Just for Pets, but Cahn was great about sending me the Magnum Filter from last month's photo contest. Very nice and courteous.

Anyone know any fish stores SOUTH of the Metroplex ?

Gees, I am in Ovilla/Red Oak.... and feel like I am an the Boonies when it comes to Fish Stores. The Petorama in Waxahachie is so full of Duckweed, I dare getting something from there, plus to many dead, rotting fish seen.

I have visited DNA- never can get the same answer twice? The Fish Gallery is Great, and my choice, but is a good drive.

kSpieler
06-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Wolf, there's a Pet-O-Rama by your work...if you work close to DNA...they just recently changed their "fish" staff, and their tanks are looking ALOT better. Oh yeah, it's at the SE corner of Frankford & Marsh.

I live right by Plano Pets, also, and have always been happy with fish bought there.
I also live close to Exotic Aquatics (Custer @ Parker)...but they are hit-or-miss sometimes.