PDA

View Full Version : Petco did it to me again!

jimmyk
05-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I decided to get a "Dragon eel" from them the other day. The price was right at 6 dollars and the tag said it was a semi aggressive bottom feeder. Of course, I didnt do the research needed ( my fault) but tonight I caught the little guy 2 incehs long trying to eat my 2 inch long newt. then he went to the 12" ropefish and tried HIM. then to the 10" dragon goby before I put him in his own tank. The only fish I have ever had that was this aggressive was my dominant african cichlid in a 150. I am kinda kicking myself. this is the same place with red pacus for sale recommending a 30 gallon tank setup... I really ought to know better than to trust what they have posted.

You have been warned :)

sap
05-25-2008, 09:42 PM
semi agressive is the same as semi bi-polar.....

biggin
05-25-2008, 09:50 PM
What is a dragon eel? There are saltwater dragon eels but what is a freshwater one?

I was curious if it were like a Tire Track or something....but did not see it on a quick google search....

FYI....most eels are not well known for their table manners seem to eat every at the table.

bra8ndy8
05-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I have no clue what a dragon eel is...I have 2 dragon fish that look eel like...........and they have NEVER done anything but stay in a log!

budwick weiser
05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
:npics:

Blake
05-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I believe he is talking about a "prehistoric dragon goby"... I had one for a while. They are brackish water but I had mine in regular freshwater and he did fine. They are fairly common at the LFS titled "dragon fish" or "dragon eel", but its technically a goby. I got kinda bored with mine because they are nocturnal and hide alot. Also you might wanna do some research on these I've seen some fairly large ones.

Blake
05-25-2008, 10:55 PM
:npics:

found this on google...

http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/dbimages/dragon%20goby2%281%29.jpg

bra8ndy8
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
That's what I have and Never had any problems....they are nocturnal and don't bother anything!

biggin
05-25-2008, 11:09 PM
If that is the case he got a freak...dragon gobies are not really known killers....mostly blind and eat whatever falls in their mouth....

But yes they are gobies.

supermome
05-26-2008, 09:05 AM
My son has one and there's never been a problem with it bothering any other fish. He was in with some pretty small fish when we got him and if they got too close he would take off as quick as he could to get away from them.
He never bother's anything, spends most of his time hiding out wherever he can.

tsunderl
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i3/Dragon_Gobies/Dragon%20Gobies.htm

Haiven
05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
He mentioned that the dragon eel was giving the 10" dragon goby problems, so I doubt if it's another dragon goby.

supersmirky
05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Post us some pics when you get a chance. That's wild but you know you could always return him to Petco.

jimmyk
05-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Just so everyone knows. they had the label as dinosaur eel as I was typing as I was setting up ANOTHER quarantine tank and my brain put in dragon eel As I had a dragon goby in the QT. And after 45 seconds of research I found out the fish is in truth it is a juvenile (Polypterus senegalus senegalus) commonly known as a Senegal bichir. Nocturnal predator, Huge mouth up to a foot long in captivity. Everything else I have read says either peaceful or predatory fish, since he was trying to eat fish 4 times his size I am leaning toward getting an aggressive one :).

I could take him back but I do have a 125 predator tank. 6" shovelnose 16"clown 12" oscar. Ill let the senegal grow to 5 inches or so then transfer him in the live feeders tank. where he should be fine.

UncleSamsPuppet
05-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Sweet that you have accommodations to keep him/her!!!

Definitely get us some pictures of yours when you get a chance. Sounds like an interesting fish!!!

jimmyk
05-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Here it is. One the picture with my finger in the shot for size reference, the chucks you see floating are brine shrimp.

UncleSamsPuppet
05-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Ahh, so he/she is still a little guy.

Pretty cool little fish, but sounds pretty aggressive from what you've described. Thanks for the warning!!!

jimmyk
05-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Here is another page with species info. Juveniles have markings that make them look somewhat mottled. mine had those and is losing them. I love how the info about the species says you can train them to eat frozen and pellet food and then most other forum posts I see regarding them have ALOT of molly and platys "disappearances". Then the last pic on this page seals the deal for me :)
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile41.html

supermome
05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Cool looking fish. Sounds pretty aggressive, though. Looks like it would eat most anything.

budwick weiser
05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
i'd love to see one of those guys eating

bra8ndy8
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
i had 2 of those........mine were about 6 inches.........and ate everything!!!!

supersmirky
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
awesome fish...thats the nice thing about multiple tank syndrome...you always have another tank waiting as backup if something doesn't mesh well in another tank

UncleSamsPuppet
05-27-2008, 03:48 PM
:hehe: or at least a location in the house picked out for a new tank that can serve this purpose.

Are you only feeding it brine shrimp, or have you tried/offered larger food yet?

kSpieler
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
hehe...sounds like it's going for larger foods already! I had been wanting either bichers or some eels...but the hub nixed that idea...seems they are too "snakey" for him...(wuss!)