PDA

View Full Version : Native tank info

Trip
01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
I am very interested in the native species we have in Texas. I grew up pulling perch and large mouth bass out of the water! It would be great to have a few at home. With some of the larger variety such as bass, catfish and gar, what would be the smallest size tank that could happily house any of these fish.

Typical Tony
01-22-2013, 09:08 AM
before someone chime in with the legality issue of housing these fish since im not well verse... I would say minimum of atleast 200 gal.

jessica.johnson7
01-22-2013, 09:09 AM
I know very little about this- but you're going to need a big ass tank. Lol :)

Trip
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
That is kinda what I figured. I have seen gar in a few LFS around so I am pretty sure they are legal but the legality behind the large mouth and catfish....I have no idea. I am no where near ready to have these fish. I was just thinking about it and trying to maybe get a plan in place to house these fish down the line.

Thank you!

Erniec
01-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Have you done a search of the forums, I think you might find a few posts about it

Venom SS
01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
For the smaller gars like the floridas and spotted, I wouldnt go less than a tank that is atleast 6ft long and 2ft wide as a bare minimum. That would easily house a single largemouth as well for most of its life. But beyond that, 8ft long and 3ft wide is more realistic for a lifetime. Something in the range of 350 gallons. Bigger is always better. Alligator gar...min. of 12ft x 4ft tank! Largemouth are extremely fun to keep. They eat everything, and become very dog like! Really cool personality. Ive kept them off and on through my fish keeping days.

Surprisingly, bluegill and bream also require a pretty sizeable tank. They are VERY aggressive to each other, and need lots of room to get away from each other and hide.

digital_gods
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM
The legality of it falls under TPWD fishing guidelines. You need a license to catch anything in the water. Follow the rules of the size and bag limit for each species. The TPWD does not care about what you do with the fish after to catch it as long as you comply to the rule.

If you want to start small, you could buy minnow to raise up. Buying bait fish does not require any license or regulations.

**All info has come directly from TPWD official.**

Trip
01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
great info! Thank you all!

WCGunns
02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
I love the natives also and about to start my dream tank to house them. I had a 450g set up with natives before and all were adult fish but the bass. Had 7 sunfish and the 14-15" bass. The tank was 8'Lx3'Wx2.5'T and that was all the fish I felt it would handle.

nickbarr17
02-12-2013, 05:36 PM
whats the smallest breeds of gar that you can buy?

oscar-lover
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I have a bluegill, I caught him in a small creek last year and he was maybe 2", he has grown and is now about 5", eats anything u feed

You can have him for free if you are serious about the native tank and will take good care of him cause I have gotten attached to him :)

jessica.johnson7
02-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Oh a natural looking tank with a few bluegill would be amazing! They are nice looking fish.

bc76645
01-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Have you ever looked at native killifish? They are smaller fish. Some are quite colorful. Locally you could find blackstripe topminnows, plains killifish, a little to the east golden topminnows and western starhead topminnows..Longear sunfish are colorful and a little larger up to 8 or 9 inches i believe...if you go fishin' don't forget your license and bait bucket...

texasswangin214
01-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Exnae the catfish idea unless u plan to go with a really big tank because most Texas catfish get huge