PDA

View Full Version : power outage....

sap
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
first my internet/cable went out....then the power went. Ended up going to academy and spending 80 bucks on battery powered aerator's......stopped and got a bag of ice and 12 of bud light.... 1 hr after i got back home power was on.......any body ever use a UPS Computer backup power supply during an outage?

biggin
05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I think it should be alright...I know they sell an aquarium version for like $500....

sap
05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
i think a ups 300 should be able to run 7 aerator's for 12 hours, but i dont know how to calculate the amp/volt thing to figure it out....if it will run a pc and monitor for 30 minutes it should last 24x that on the aerorator's

sap
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
500 for a backup?you could buy a generator for that price

ElijahTurtle
05-22-2008, 09:16 PM
I've got 3 of them that need new batteries. Need to figure out where to get new batteries.

bra8ndy8
05-22-2008, 09:49 PM
When I was out of power for 5 days in Sherman back in 99....I think when the bad ice storm....I dropped m water down really low in my 100 gallon and used a battery powered live well pump....and didn't loose a fish!

bgk245
05-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I've gone through an 8-10 hour power outage with no problems. In fact, in one of my more idiot moments, I kicked off the power strip below my 25g to do a water change, and forgot to turn the dadgum thing back on for close to 36 hours with no loss of fish. But I do keep a battery powered pump, and I figure in a long outage, I'd rotate it among the 4 tanks, so each of them got some aerating once an hour or so. But then, I have 4 tanks, not a fish room, so for some folks, that's not nearly adequate in a power failure like we had a few years ago - we got ours back in an hour, but it took 5 days on the other side of the street!

xtc
05-23-2008, 07:41 AM
We need to sticky this one

24 hours is my break point. When we had the 4-5 day outage a while back I waited 24 hrs to do anything. Then I rented a generator for $50 a day. But I had 7 tanks and all were ok after 24 hrs without doing anything.

UncleSamsPuppet
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM
i think a ups 300 should be able to run 7 aerator's for 12 hours, but i dont know how to calculate the amp/volt thing to figure it out....if it will run a pc and monitor for 30 minutes it should last 24x that on the aerorator's

Average computer power supply 400W, average CRT monitor 50W? 75W? 100W+?

If you can run 450+W for 10-15 minutes I'd assume the backup battery would keep a simple air pump (say 10-15W) running for a few hours.

UncleSamsPuppet
05-23-2008, 07:49 AM

I agree!! Got it.

REYREY
05-23-2008, 08:45 AM
if you look on DR Fosters.... THEY HAVE A 3 PACK OF BATTERY OPERATED BACK UPS FOR LIKE 12 DOLLARS.... sorry for the caps...

not a bad deal.... last time I lost power for over 24 hours...I lost 3 beautiful koi...within hours.... they were in a 30 gl... they were about 5 inches long.... since then... been asking for NO MORE POWER OUTAGES!~

the UPS for the comp should run MULTIPLE airstones for hours....

biggin
05-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Here is one I just saw...

http://www.jehmco.com/html/battery_backup_system.html

sap
05-24-2008, 07:36 PM
the cheapest route i think is the battery powered penn plax (http://www.petco.com/product/7400/Penn-Plax-Silent-Air-B10-Battery-Air-Pump.aspx)

and a case of D cell duracell's .

I have had one running now for 24 hours, i left the case open to increase airflow over the motor so it wouldnt burn out and it is not running hot at all, just hook it to the back of the tank and plug it in, as soon as the power goes out it kicks on. less than 100 dollars for all of my tanks.

UncleSamsPuppet
05-24-2008, 08:31 PM
The last time I was at Wally World I saw some of those in the $6-9 range (not sure how closely they compare - as in bubble rates etc.)

SAP do you have them setup to automatically come on if the power goes out?

sap
05-24-2008, 09:00 PM
i could, but i dont...it plugs in to the wall and as soon as it loses AC power, battery kicks in....they will only operate on batteries and then penn plax produces a strong cfm flow

UncleSamsPuppet
05-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Well if that's the case, I would highly recommend this product over the ones at wally world. Sounds like a nice backup system!!!

Hmmm maybe we'll see a rechargeable system for one? You load it (or it comes with them) and while it's plugged in and getting power it's charging the batteries.

Fishbone
07-21-2009, 04:51 PM
This will be my 1st contribution to the forum. Hopefully this will help someone size their back up system accordingly.

UPS (or battery backups) for computers are essentially 12V batteries with a 120VAC inverter (DC to AC). The inverter circuits are sized to provide a certain max load rating such as 400W peak (average close to 200-300W). This has nothing to do with the size of the 12V battery just how much amperage the inverter circuits can provide. It also provides a trickle charge for the 12V battery.

Typically the 12V batteries in the cheaper UPS have around 5Ah (Amp hour rating). Think of it as being able to supply 5Amps for 1 hr or 1A for 5 hrs. Its the same capacity. Sometimes you will see mAh (smaller batteries), essentially 1000mAh=1Ah.

To keep it simple lets assume there are no conversion losses from 12VDC to 120VAC. Power is calculated as VoltsxAmps, power capacity =V*Ah=12Vx5Ah=60W hour, or 60W for 1 hr or 1W for 60 hrs. A little bit less due to the conversion loss.

Something I've though of doing is using a larger battery 50-60Ah to give more power capacity - easily run 60-100 hrs straight from battery.

alta678
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Good post! Thanks! Now, can you tell us where you can get this? :exactly:

Fishbone
07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Common brands of UPS are APC, Cyberpower, and Belkin, I have 2 for my computers at home to keep the internet connection and servers alive during power outs. You can get the UPS at any place that sells PCs (Frys, Microcenter, BB, CC, Officemax, Staples...)

When the batteries die after a few years, the batteries are available at Frys, battery retailers online, and places like ebay.

Sample calc:
3x10W power heads + 20W lamps = 50W. Using the above 60Wh UPS, thats 1.2hrs for the entire tank. If you only power 1 power head for emergencies you can get 6 hrs run time.

alta678
07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info! ;)

Fishbone
07-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Some more info if you go looking for one. The ratings on typical UPS are confusing. They only rate the VA rating which is more of a marketing ploy than anything - this spec is more about how much peak power they can provide. Check the specs for run time at a certain wattage, ie 10mins at 200W. This will give you a better idea of the Wh number you will need to determine how long your powerheads can be powered.

MikeF
07-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Here is one I just saw...

http://www.jehmco.com/html/battery_backup_system.html

I have this system with two twelve volt car batteries backing up my two tanks. It has worked very well.

arnold
07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
i plan on getting a portable generator when i get the cash, keep it full of gas so if i need it i can run for days, i have gone 4 days wo power and didnt loose any fish but i would much prefer safe over sorry

Fishbone
07-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice Jehmco system - I see it has circuitry for the motor loads.

I plan on doing something similar with a UPS and a sealed Marine battery. I'll have to see if the UPS I'm modifying has enough juice to handle the inductive motor load (25W Eheim canister just for water movement and aeration - this is the secondary filter besides the 100W sump pump). It will be a cheap mod if it works since I already have the UPS with a dead battery laying around. I just need a few hours of run time to ensure my tank survives the 3-4 hr outages we get 2-3 times a year.

I have 2 separate tanks in separate locations so it will be more cost effective for me to use smaller UPS+small car battery at each location - plus I get the added bonus of modding stuff :hehe:

joshd
11-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the information. I have been wondering how to best protect against power outages.

TangTango
11-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I had a 55 with three fronts in it and the power went out for three days.
I took a plastic cup like ya get a fountain drink in and just kept scoop'n
water out and pour'n it back in for about five minutes at a time every hour or so
until I went to bed for six or seven hours and didn't lose not one front.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/TangTango/Gifs/Frontosa_02.png

robert321
04-24-2010, 02:18 AM
You can get replacement batteries at tanners electronics, its a little "hole in the wall" business, while you're in there just tell the store owner what you're up to with wanting to have a backup for your tank and he can set you up better than anyone I can think of. Brilliant man and knows electricity backward and forward.
On a side note, I heard you can use hydrogen peroxide in freshwater (don't know what it'd do to salt as i have no experience with it) as an emergancy oxygen booster. Since the molecular makeup of hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, and water is H2O, it releases the additional oxygen and becomes just water. Hydrogen peroxide is very reactive, thats why it's used to clean (not disinfect despite popular belief) wounds, it always wants to get rid of the additional oxygen molecule. What have other people heard about this?

showcase
09-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Just had a blackout last weekend. Luckily it only lasted a few hours. Came from a place where it was really bad duringstorm season that blackouts might last a few days. Picked up some tips over the years... Experts feel free to correct me.

1. Absolutely NO FEEDING. Feeding will only foul your water. Your fish may survive a week without food.

2. Lower water level. The most oxygenated part of the water column is the water surface. As a basic principle the bigger the surface relative to the volume of water the better it is for the fish. So by making the water shallower in your tank, you have technically made your surface bigger.

3. If you have battery operated air pumps use them. Buy spare batteries while you still can. Obviously if its a blackout due to bad weather you don't want to be driving around.

4. In prolonged blackouts do water change (assuming you have a stock of aged water), but when refilling simply drip the water. Donít fill up quickly. The idea is to prolong the time that you fill up, the longer it takes the better because it means that the water surface is agitated for the same amount of time you take to fill it up thereby oxygenating the tank longer too.

5. Lower temperature holds more dissolved oxygen than higher temperature. When that heater stops working due to a power outage and the thermometer drops down due to a storm perhaps, in the short term this cooler temperature actually works to your favor.

Hope that helps. I still freak out and worry about my fishes when the power goes out but it doesn't hurt to be ready.

UncleSamsPuppet
09-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Lowering the water level will hurt you in the long run. You will concentrate the toxins in a smaller volume of water. More water changes will help with out gassing and toxicity levels.

Battery air pump will help without lowering the water level, too.

showcase
09-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Lowering the water level will hurt you in the long run. You will concentrate the toxins in a smaller volume of water. More water changes will help with out gassing and toxicity levels.

Battery air pump will help without lowering the water level, too.

Excellent point... With extended blackouts (and no battery powered devices) I guess its a matter of picking your poison (lack of oxygenated water, toxins, no feeding). :(

My suggestion of lowering the water level should also be tempered with not feeding the fish and regular, slow water changes... Thoughts?

mackinthebox
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
a simple solution could be to get automotive batteries and a 12v inverter to 110v
they sell lots of em at walmart and at auto parts stores
if nothing else you could even charge the batteries with your car if its an extended period of time

I would think that a big truck battery and a good inverter could run a large tank for a day or more

just food for thought :)

could try this too:
http://www.dansdata.com/diyups.htm

Raschael
09-07-2010, 05:21 PM
We plugged our inverter into our ford diesel, ran an extension cord, and just moved it between tanks every half hour or so until we borrowed a friends generator. :p:

UncleSamsPuppet
09-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Excellent point... With extended blackouts (and no battery powered devices) I guess its a matter of picking your poison (lack of oxygenated water, toxins, no feeding). :(

My suggestion of lowering the water level should also be tempered with not feeding the fish and regular, slow water changes... Thoughts?

With extended periods of blackouts and no battery powered devices, I think you're doing whatever you can to save them at that point. Water changes and manual surface agitation is your best bet.

I don't see how lowering the water level will ever help. Agitating the water's surface will cause more surface area (waves have more surface area than calm waters).

a simple solution could be to get automotive batteries and a 12v inverter to 110v
they sell lots of em at walmart and at auto parts stores
if nothing else you could even charge the batteries with your car if its an extended period of time

I would think that a big truck battery and a good inverter could run a large tank for a day or more

just food for thought :)

could try this too:
http://www.dansdata.com/diyups.htm

Use a boat's bilge pump (already 12v ;)), then you don't have the inverters power requirements (the inverter will use X wattage along with the load attached to it).

Norri
09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I have a 1300w apc backup that I use for tanks if power goes out, works great and I have never lost any fish during outage with it.

1badbluehb
09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement batter for my UPS backup?

Flapjack
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I just take a D-cell battery powered aerator and connect it to my main tanks sponge filter. IMO every main tank should have a sponge filter for this reason and if your filters break :hehe:

sassynurse2
11-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I just take a D-cell battery powered aerator and connect it to my main tanks sponge filter. IMO every main tank should have a sponge filter for this reason and if your filters break :hehe:

I have a couple of these battery operated aerators how would I connect to my pump?

UncleSamsPuppet
11-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a couple of these battery operated aerators how would I connect to my pump?

These would be connected to a sponge filter.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_puTVILFyI9M/TI_TTOJJvJI/AAAAAAAAAx4/YHZEe2S2-nY/Emergency%20Filtration.jpg

shahlvah
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
That is what a guy at work told me toda, get a back up battery for a pc... they are not too expensive and depending on how much watts you use it wil give you 5 - hours

kandiscus
11-12-2012, 09:39 PM
i experienced with power outage but lucky enough to get back within hours but finding alternate is good, becoz of the nature of my fish

3Hap44s-n-a20
06-29-2014, 12:02 AM
peroxide will work for saltwater as well. it actually increased DO more than aeration. There is a german company that makes a H202 oxygenator for aquariums. You can put one of those in your tank if you aren't going to be on hand to dose H202 manually during the outage. Battery operated air pumps on sponge filters can keep the water circulating. Battery backup UPS for a sump pump would be pretty pricey.

- - - Updated - - -

H202 is a natural remedy for parasites as they cannot produce adequate antioxidants to stave off fatal oxidative necrosis at the levels fish can. Hence, it could be bad for inverts if you have less robust invert colonies. Therefore, be forewarned not to overdose the H202. Also, H202 causes iron to precipitate so if you're using plant ferts or have high iron sources from rocks or are using chelators for your tapwater then it would be advised to keep an eye on your iron with an aquarium iron test kit.

Nickolai36
04-28-2015, 10:00 PM
I recommend a generator also that's of course if your investment is way up there

arnold
01-13-2016, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement batter for my UPS backup?

batteries plus by the Irving mall

Sleepingtiger
08-02-2018, 09:14 AM

24 hours is my break point. When we had the 4-5 day outage a while back I waited 24 hrs to do anything. Then I rented a generator for $50 a day. But I had 7 tanks and all were ok after 24 hrs without doing anything.

I don't think there is a time frame. I think its all about the amount of fish in your aquarium. A 50g planted tank with tetras isn't a problem. When you got 50 tropheus in a 110g, within 30 minutes my fish was gasping for air. We lost power last week and the first thing I did was get my battery operated air pump. I will buy a UPS for my tropheus tank. Even with a battery operated air pump, it wont do anything to resolve the build up of ammonia. If I was to have a prolonged power outage, I don't think my tropheus will last 24hrs with a battery operated air pump.

biggin
08-02-2018, 12:50 PM
You would be surprised, throw a couple sponge filters in your sump, run them on a battery and you will be good for a while. Just don't feed while the power is out.

I don't think there is a time frame. I think its all about the amount of fish in your aquarium. A 50g planted tank with tetras isn't a problem. When you got 50 tropheus in a 110g, within 30 minutes my fish was gasping for air. We lost power last week and the first thing I did was get my battery operated air pump. I will buy a UPS for my tropheus tank. Even with a battery operated air pump, it wont do anything to resolve the build up of ammonia. If I was to have a prolonged power outage, I don't think my tropheus will last 24hrs with a battery operated air pump.