PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Mexican CPO Breeding cycle

JasonInPlano
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I have 4 CPOs in my 55 gallon tank. 3 female and 1 male. I noticed my smallest female was pregnant 10 days ago. The largest female was pregnant 2 days later. Does anyone know how long it takes the eggs to hatch and when do they let go of the mother? They both have gone into hiding. I thought they had died until I had moved my largest ornaments to vacuum under. I'm trying to guesstimate when the babies will fall off the mother so I can try to rescue some of them before my Marbled Crays or Guppies get them.

On a side note, my CPOs chase the Marbled Crays even though the Marbled are bigger. Not really relevant, but funny to watch.

JasonInPlano added 10 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Typical Tony,
Re: Marbled Crays
I can't PM since I am under 10 posts.

I've only had mine a few weeks. They were only about an inch when I got them, but they are all over 2 inches now. Mine haven't reached maturity to breed yet. These have a great personality. They eat my pond snails and sick fish, but leave my plants and cherry shrimp alone. I've had a cherry shrinp refuse to move even with the cray brandishing her claws. After a few failed attempts for her to shove the shrimp out of the way, she gave up and went around. I bought mine off of Ebay from user 10scholar (http://myworld.ebay.com/10scholar?_trksid=p2047675.l2559)

biggin
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
My marbles leave most plants alone.. but mosses and thinner plants are GONE with a brood of marbles...

I had a real healthy shimp population until I moved a berried marble into the tank... they rolled through about 500 shrimp in 3 weeks.

Typical Tony
08-12-2012, 10:29 PM
i had a bunch of pvc pipe pyramids in my tank when i had them... it provides plenty of hiding spots for each cray.

pam916
08-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I have the orange dwarf crays and the marbled crayfish but I don't put mine in the same tank, I would be afraid the marbled crays would kill the dwarfs. Be sure you have lots of hiding places and might be a good idea to put the pregnant crays in another tank if you want to save the babies.

JasonInPlano
08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, I only have the one tank and don't have the funds to start another, even a small a tank. I can never find them when I want to, so hiding places are ok. I'm planning on adding some small tubes for them this week to add to their available hiding spots including some small tubes that the adults can't fit into.

JasonInPlano
08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Well, I noticed the first baby to drop from mom. The problem with rescuing is the the ornament they are in still has 2 of the mothers in it carrying eggs. The babies are so small, I don't think that they would stay in my breeder trap. They can easily slip through the slits in the side.

JasonInPlano
08-22-2012, 02:24 PM
First few babies became guppy chow. :( I moved both mothers 2 the breeder last night. The smallest one dropped the rest of her young. I saw a few babies running around this morning. I removed her from the breeder tank and am now waiting for the 2nd female to drop her young before I move her out. The babies have some java moss to hide in and feed on and a put a few bamboo carbon tubes in for mom to hide in.

JasonInPlano
08-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Both mothers died within a few days of returning them to the tank. The 2nd mother never had her eggs hatch, they turned brown. I can see maybe 4 babies in the breeder from the first mother. Hope they mature fast so I can get them out of the breeder box soon.