PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Help

oscar-lover
04-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Got this deal and its a 100G salt water tank

Tank has a Blue Tang and a Domino Damsel ???, active fishes came right out when fed ....now comes the tricky part...

I dont know squat about salt water tanks....the guy told me all he does is add salt and de-clorinater and sticks in the hydrometer and thats about it and he is going to write me instructions for it..

What i want to do when i get the tank is...

Transfer the fishes to a 55 that i have setup and use the 100 for something else.

Now i am going to get 50 gallons of water from the tank from the guys house and bring it back home with me and put the fishes in, my worry is the filtration part...would by Marineland HOB have all the beneficial bacteria to handle this transfer or is there a quicker way to help transfer the fishes...the filters been running for a week now

Though the guy says that the fish are too old and are going to croak when we move them i want to try and save them so i ask all the fellow salt tank owners to help me out on this please,i am going to get the tank and fishes next saturday

Typical Tony
04-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Doesn't the 55 have fw fish in there right now?

You best course of action is to give those fish away, from reading some of your other threads I dont think you are ready for sw just yet. It takes more than what that guy is telling you to maintain a sw tank and seems like you are having trouble with fw as it is and a sw tank would make things even worst if you don't know what you are doing.

bigez
04-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I would take some time and look at the intro section of reefcentral if you're even remotely thinking about keeping these fish. If you're in over your head, just give the fish to a local fish store and keep reading up if you really want to get into salt water.

Typical Tony
04-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Take some time and get to know this thread first

http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/showthread.php?t=18082

TanyaQ2000
04-28-2012, 11:05 PM
i think the best thing to do oscar-lover is to offer the fish up for sale or for free. SW is nothing to jump into just because you acquire a tank with fish. I had a boss with a fowlr at work and a reef at home....seeing the expense he had both in professional mtc, his own daily regiment as well as the price of the stock was enough to make me know that until i win the lottery, I will only do FW

thank you for keeping the best interest of the fish at heart but I think you should pass them on to the more experienced SW keepers we have on this forum....maybe a trade as many of the SW keepers also have cichlids

greeneyed
04-29-2012, 02:31 AM
I think everyone it telling you straight. I know you want what is best for the fish, and atm that may involve giving them away.

A filter that had been set up for freshwater does not have the correct strains of bacteria for sw.

I will be honest, if this tank had been well maintained, which by his description it hadn't, it could be possible. But ONLY if you knew exactly what you were doing.

So like the others, if you truly want to get into sw, then feet first isn't the way. It takes some research, but in the end the results will be worth it.

oscar-lover
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Allright guys :confused:, i did think about the whole salttank thing and did not want to get into it because i was not ready for it....but got a little greedy and i admitt it and wanted to keep them myself because the guy made it sound all easy....

Anyways....i am giving those fishes to a friend of mine who owns two salt tanks and also works at Petco in Watauga...he has a tank that is ready for these fishes so they would be going to a much capable hands than me because obviously if i ended up killing those fish i would feel like shit....

As far as the FW issues i am having......i am not a expert like most of you guys here but i do know a few things about keeping fish and i hope to learn more on this forum....:)

All being said, thanks again for your inputs, i appreciate it...