PDA

View Full Version : Filter question

Reebies79
04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I recently aquired a 120g, thanks Blake, and want to go salt with it. I have read most of the threads about start up, but I guess I missed anything on filtration. I have 2 HOB filters one Marineland 200 and an Aqueon 55/75. Does anyone know if these can be used on salt or should I drill the tank and use a wet/dry set up? This will be a fish only tank with a few crustaceans for clean up and a playsand substrate. I can add some live rock, but dont want a reef set up.

Thanks

angel510
04-17-2012, 04:12 PM
yeah they will work, but using a wet/dry is way more beneficial

Harleydiva
04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
U can also use a hang on overflow box instead of drilling which there is no guarantee the tank won't crack.

Reebies79
04-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks I am going to consider both.

coderpitt
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
I just setup a CPR102 overflow box (assisted by an aqualifter) with a proclear 75 with a built in protein skimmer. I did this because the tank manufacture is no longer in business and I couldn't get a response on if the back of the tank was tempered... the front defiantly was.

greeneyed
04-17-2012, 09:20 PM
You can check for tempering with a pair of polarized sunglasses and a laptop. There are tons of youtube videos on this.

reeframper
04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
You will definitely want some liverock as the bacteria that it houses can be a big part of your bio filtration. HOB filters will definitely work in a FOWLR setup, you just have to make sure you keep up with filter maintenance and water changes to keep your water params in line. That being said, if you think there is a chance that you might want to do a reef later on, do a sump setup. You don't even have to drill the tank. You can use one of the eshopps overflow boxes. I use one on mine and have been very pleased with it.