PDA

View Full Version : JbJ Nano-Cube DX Just bought

Erniec
12-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Ok I got this Nano off Craiglist, I picked this up late last night and did not expect it to have fish :(. So I had to set this up as is, I was up till Midnight

That tank has 2 Clowns, a Stripe damsel, 6 Hermits,6 Snails. there are some sea worms in the tank, the ones you use for bait!

First off I think the wrong fish for a 12 gal Nano, they state Min is 20 for clowns and 30 gallon for Damsel. Is this right ?

Also you can see that it has all this crush shells which is sharp as hell!

The nano is in a bad state as you can see. I have a 10 gallon half moon I have been messing with, it has cycled, So I used the water from that to finish off filling the nano tank last night.

Oh the hermits and snails are from my 10 gallon, there was no cleaning crew at all in the nano. so there is waste in the tank.

I should of done what wife said put them in my 10 and clean the nano.

So now I have a dirty nano and my best water went in it, I so hate working on tanks when it is late at night!!

I checked the chambers and they seem to be set up wrong and there is only sponges and some charcoal and pump

Any Ideas on how I can fix this and not loose the clowns and damsel

Should I go for it and clean it and use every thing from my 10 and hope for the best

arowana29
12-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm new to saltwater, but I have the same tank with 2 clowns in mine right now. It's been running for 3 months and they seem happy.

Erniec
12-30-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm new to saltwater, but I have the same tank with 2 clowns in mine right now. It's been running for 3 months and they seem happy.

You have a skimmer in yours ?

rolltide#1
12-30-2011, 09:11 AM
First off, the tank looks clean to me. Things will need time to settle. Im sure there was a lot of stuff moved around during the move. I would put some of the rubble in one of the chambers in the back. Add a bag of purigen and a bag of chemi-pure elite to the other chamber to help keep the water in good shape. Im sure you will need more live rock with the large bio-load. Dont think you have time to cure some so buying live rock is about the only way right now unless you want to step up the water changes. Just for Pets has quality rock and a great price. At least they did last time I got some from them.

I am no pro at this at all. I have a 14 biocube and thats how I run mine. Salt fish are expensive so I want to try and help. Good luck with your tank. They are great setups and easy to maintain once you get it set up right.

arowana29
12-30-2011, 09:32 AM
You have a skimmer in yours ?

I'm not running a skimmer, but I have one that will fit in the second chamber if you're interested. I'll PM you some pictures tonight. Just for Pets and Custom Reef has good prices on live rock.

rdogface
12-30-2011, 07:31 PM
yeah i dont think it looks bad thats good coarlline algae. some of the darker spots in the back close to the bottom look like a bad algae though.rock rock more rock the more poures the better and try to ad some good alge to soak up nitrates like cheto or grape. the clowns will probaly end up paring up and kill the dam a skimmer would be good small ones like that are ushaly run off air stone made of wood, for fine bubbles. as far as the filter in those small set up ushaly they have a sponge a bio ball chamber and chamber for carbon they mainly work on the theroy of turning the tank over very fast (big pump littel tank) if dont over feed, get rock and nitrae absorbing algae you can support the clowns. thats if the dont grow out fully, ocellaris dont get as big as percs and arnt as aggressive as percs but still a 3 inch fish 6 inch's of fish in that tank is alot

arowana29
12-31-2011, 05:30 PM
I have a Sapphire Skimmer I'm not using any more if you're interested. Make me an offer. It fits nicely in the second chamber.

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/130/0254424509914e139c63ad3e255b043d/l.jpg

Typical Tony
12-31-2011, 05:46 PM
I have a Sapphire Skimmer I'm not using any more if you're interested. Make me an offer. It fits nicely in the second chamber.

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/130/0254424509914e139c63ad3e255b043d/l.jpg

great skimmer! too bad they don't make it no more...

Erniec
01-01-2012, 01:42 PM

I have a 12 gallon, I am trying to think how that would fit in that chamber I have one of these

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/biocube-protein-skimmer.php

that barely fits in and does not work as it sits to low in the water and the top will float off, If I lift it the top of the tank will not close

I know I need one, can see the difference in how clear my 10 was when I had it going in that tank

Typical Tony
01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I have a 12 gallon, I am trying to think how that would fit in that chamber I have one of these

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/biocube-protein-skimmer.php

that barely fits in and does not work as it sits to low in the water and the top will float off, If I lift it the top of the tank will not close

I know I need one, can see the difference in how clear my 10 was when I had it going in that tank

it just slides in and sit in there? what's not to get?

the biocube one doesnt work bc it's made for a biocube and their chamber is made differently than that of the nano-cube.

Erniec
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Update of my nano,
update of my nano Cube - YouTube