PDA

View Full Version : Help Saltwater

denierlexiese
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Guys,
My buddy just bought a tank and he needs your help. We have a 100 gallon fish tank with 80 lbs of live sand and an inch of water above it. We have 80 lbs of live rock that just came out of the original owners setup. We have a hang on filter that just came off too. We need to know how to save the live rock over night without loosing the good bacteria. I'm guessing if we put fresh tap water in the bacteria will just die. I have synthetic salt here with me. Can we get that going in the next few hours and put that in and save the bacteria? Should we take the inch of water out and put it in a bucket with the live rock? If we did that would the live sand bacteria die?

Is it a big deal if the bacteria in the live rock dies? if we already have the live sand, will the live rock just recolonize, and how long will that take? Will all the bacteria die by tomorrow and we just can't wait until the morning to pick up premixed salt water?

Thanks,

Steve

greeneyed
12-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Lots of questions, lol.

You can mix up some salt water and put into the tank with the rock and sand.
The sand will be ok if you siphon the water off as long as it stays moist.
The rock started dying as soon as it hit air. But will take a bit to completely die.

Personally What I would do not knowing where this came from or their maintenance routine. I would siphon the water into a tote with the rock, Put in a powerhead and heater.

Get some salt water and thoroughly rinse the sand. There can be all sorts of detritus from no telling how long in there. You can always buy/bum some livesand to help reseed it.

It really doesn't matter if it all completely dies. It can be reseeded.

And even your greatest efforts at this point, you are going to go through some sort of cycle if the rock hit air.

I would personally slow down, and take this time to clean everything thoroughly. Set it up. And start the cycle. This will also give them the opportunity to do the research they need to do, because obviously they need to do some reading.

denierlexiese
12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
My buddy is thinking this, put the live rock half submerge in the live sand- water mix, wake up first thing tomorrow and buy 50 gallons of premixed salt water. Put a powerhead and heater in the tank and hope the currently submerge live rock will recolonize the rest. He is hoping to save the live rock.

Is this a good idea? Will the bacteria die overnight if water temperature is not 75 degrees?

Gnaget
12-12-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm the buddy :)

snow999ball
12-12-2011, 09:26 PM
depends on how far away from 75 degrees and wether it would be warmer or colder.

I second what Dave said, go slow and do things correctly, it will work out better in the long run.

You may want to just try selecting a few of your most porus rocks to keep as alive as possible, if your friend really needs to reseed his rock/sand that quickly.