PDA

View Full Version : wanting to set up a saltwater tank

pillierox1
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
okay i want to get a 55 gallon tank to use as a saltwater tank but i need to know what i should get. i want to do a simple saltwater nothing to fancy and nothing to hard to set up. i get lost from time to time and need it simple. ill be getting it and everything in january or later, so im not in a hurry. i pretty much want a list of what is needed to start one and go by that list lol.

jello
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
if you come over tomorrow i can show you a few things, but i would already recommend not using a 55. tank has great length and height, but most dont care for the depth. its really hard to stack rock and still have a sand bed in a 55 gal. something deeper like a 75 may just be best. even that 40b would work great.

pillierox1
12-07-2011, 04:10 PM
alrighty then i would love to learn what i need.
thanks

pillierox1
12-20-2011, 10:53 AM
okay since i didnt go to jello's im still wanting to do the saltwater set up but like i said it can get really confusing so i just wat a break down of what is necessary for the tank to run salt and everything.

jlcoop277
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm setting up my first salty and I think first you need to decide what type of tank you want. Reef? Fish only? Then you can go from there. Most will tell you to plan for the reef even if your not doing it bc at some point you will.

Typical Tony
12-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Don't be lazy and go read! There are plenty of infos out there that will tell you everything you need to know. Heck use the search button or scroll thru this site, same question have been asked before and same answers have been given.

pillierox1
12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Ya I just rarely have time to read the site bc of work is having me work alot due to the holidays.

greeneyed
12-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Honestly. if you don't have time to do the research, then maybe a SW tank isn't for you right now.

They aren't plug and play like a FW tank.
You have to be able to dedicate time everyday to it.
Not just walk by and throw some food in.
On average I spend 30-45 minutes a day on just maintenance and testing.
This can be minimized if you are ready to throw down wads of cash, but be prepared to pay. The more you automate your tank the more $ it sucks in...

Not trying to dissuade you, just stating the facts.

Nothing will make your SW experience worse than a neglected tank.

pillierox1
12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
i wont neglect i just cant read right now, i work at target and we close at 12pm but im there til 2am cleaning up the place, ill have time wen school starts but i just want the run down of what is needed and see the prices of what i need to set it up nothing more. ill read wen the time comes when i am ready to buy the stuff and get it up and running, plus i wont be adding any fish or what not until i am ready for them and that will take months.

pillierox1 added 7 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

okay what i have noted and wen i did talk about salt water tank months ago is that i need a tank, protein skimmer, filter (thinking about my xp4), the right set of lights(i cant remember what they were but i found the right one for 150 at this store), powerheads to keep it circulated and not stagnant on the surface.

Typical Tony
12-21-2011, 07:02 AM
It all depends on what you plan on keeping in there... reef or fowlr... and how big of a tank you plan on having...

Please do yourself a favor and start looking up the info yourself, if you're not willing to put in the time yourself why would anyone else do it for you. Sw can get complicated and you will never know when problems will occur and you can't expect people to just be there and spoon fed you info to fix it, you just have to know it and hope to keep it under control yourself until you find a real solution. I'd say get your priorities straighten out before you jump into it, sw takes time and dedication unlike fw. In the meantime, grab a book or two and start reading up during your breaktime at work or google the info...

start out with this thread...and if you still have questions then after reading through all of it, we'll be glad to help.

http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/showthread.php?t=18082

pillierox1
12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
im just going to my local fish store and this is not my first time reading up on it either i just cant remember exactly what the equipment i need to set it and that all im asking. ive read every site i can read and ive read dfwmas but everyone is doing a refugium and i dont really dont want that. its a 40 breeder.

greeneyed
12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075632

pillierox1
12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
thank you Dave that was most helpful, that gave me more than any other threads Ive read in the past. ill be setting up the saltwater tank maybe round January or February. i'm not in a rush i just want more info than i have gotten before.

laurelty4
12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
salt is not as difficult as alot of people make it out to be... anytime you want to talk, just hollar:exactly:

pillierox1
12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
thank lauralty, sometime i need come out there anyways and gets the boys papers but if u noticed im in no rush lol, been so freaking busy and trying to get a deer and my bf got the deer that was suppose to be mine, so my mind has been me getting a bigger deer than he got lmao

laurelty4
12-21-2011, 11:44 AM
lol...You can bring me some deer jerky when you visit.

pillierox1
12-21-2011, 11:51 AM
i sure canandsome deer meat,some reason my bf want chicken now lmao.

bgdwg70
04-21-2012, 06:40 PM
:) .