PDA

View Full Version : Aquariums and apartments

lellison
03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
When I get married in July I will be moving to an apartment near The Colony ( maybe Lewisville or Plano). I am NOT excited about this. Well I do want my own place badly, but I have never lived in the city nor did I ever ever want to. However, this is where we are supposed to be for now, so I will make the most of it :). Anyways, I was wondering if most apartments allow aquariums or not. Are there gallon limits or anything? I know each apartment complex will be different, but I thought I would ask those of you who might know. I have a 55, a 30, and a 10 or two that I will want to move if possible. I've never lived in an apartment before, so :confuzeld:.

glostik
03-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Make sure you live on the first floor. Some places dont care if you are on the first floor, but if you are on the second or third floor they have size and quantity limitations.

Tom from the Fish Gallery has about 20 tanks on the first floor of his apartment.

No reason for them to charge you any pet fee either, Ive never been charged one.

lellison
03-25-2008, 07:16 PM
awesome. we would prefer a studio apartment, what about that? I mean, I could put the tanks in the bottom.

supersmirky
03-25-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah..I had a 55 gallon on a third floor with no problems. They didn't charge any pet fee though. It's more for the four legged creatures they charge those for

kewlkatdady
03-25-2008, 07:40 PM
A buddy of mine has a 105 on the second floor...

not fun to move, but no issue with pet deposits or anything like that.

lellison
03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
awesome! Thanks guys!

hanz04
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
i have a 210gallon in a second floor no problem i usd to have 75g also. but make sure you get the approval of the landlord or the manager before you do it but 55g would be just fine.

lellison
03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
will do! Thanks again

fishyjoe24
03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
yeah here in plano it just depends on what floor your on i think 75 gallons is the limit or at least it was for a guy i use to talk to at petsmart that had an apartment here in plano.

lellison
03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
thanks joey, that may be where we end up

Blake
03-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I have a 55, 30, and two 10s on the second floor and its fine. I would make sure to get written permission for tanks over 100g that aren't on ground floor. But I'm wierd about legal stuff like that.

ElijahTurtle
03-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Most places don't care, simply because it's not typically asked about. The last apartment complex I lived in had a 55G limit though. When I inquired about it, it seemed like it was more of an afterthought. They didn't really have a reasoning behind it. Also as a side note. Aquariums aren't classified as pets when it comes to insurance purposes, they classify them as "furniture" since the issue is not what you keep in them, but rather unit is seen as a whole, so don't let them con you into a pet deposit or "pet rent".
The other thing I noticed most of them wouldn't know the difference between a 29G & 55G even if it bit them on the butt. I think any of those rules are typically fall to the whim of the Apt managers. It just depends on where you move too.

TonyG
03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
I just moved into an apartment in Carrollton, and am on the second floor. When I was looking at the apartment/getting ready to sign the lease I asked about my 55G and they said no problem or deposit required, I have since looked in the general rule book provided and it list 30G as the largest without a deposit...I am not going to worry about it unless they bring it up.

Bubbles
03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
I actually work as a Leasing Consultant for an apartment community in Plano. When you start looking for an apartment just make sure and ask what their pet policy is. If they have any rules about aquariums it HAS to be in the pet policy rules. If there is nothing then you do not have to worry about it (just make sure you have a copy of the pet policy). The weight limit really is not a problem even on the 2nd/3rd floors for the size aquariums you are talking about, so I think you should be fine. I hope that helps!

poel_19
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
i have had a 55, a 40 tall, a 28. and a 10 in mine no problems from my place but I do live on the first floor.....

fishyjoe24
04-03-2008, 01:55 AM
I actually work as a Leasing Consultant for an apartment community in Plano. When you start looking for an apartment just make sure and ask what their pet policy is. If they have any rules about aquariums it HAS to be in the pet policy rules. If there is nothing then you do not have to worry about it (just make sure you have a copy of the pet policy). The weight limit really is not a problem even on the 2nd/3rd floors for the size aquariums you are talking about, so I think you should be fine. I hope that helps!

so can you help people get apartments, and what about a 240 gallon in an apartment. laughing my butt off.

lellison
04-03-2008, 11:43 PM

Thanks! That does help. So multiple aquariums aren't a problem either?

rolloffhill
04-04-2008, 10:52 AM
so can you help people get apartments, and what about a 240 gallon in an apartment. laughing my butt off.

Good luck finding enough "friends" to help you move it joey....

fishyjoe24
04-05-2008, 05:13 AM
thanks for valintering.

Xoles
04-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Pet deposits aren't a big issue with most rental properties...unless you have like 2 240s, a 135 and so on, and so on. One thing I definatly suggest is renters insurance. If something goes wrong, this can save yer but, plus cover losses, just in case.

fishyjoe24
04-06-2008, 10:11 PM
all i have is one 240 tall. when i get an apartment i think i will just save up and get the 150 they sell at petsmart and move that in with the apartment. hate to steal the thread but does anyone know now about apartments and disability people, like say i'm on disability and get an apartment, then after a few months have money but not enough to pay rent can i be a evilked(Spelling?) or is there some law against that. does anyone know where i can get some living ascesdents with an apartment?