PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crab shells - do you buy extras? If so, where?

bigtoga
11-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I am a newbie to reef tanks and I'm earnestly trying to learn. I read about how, with hermit crabs, you want to provide them shells to grow into or else they may predate upon your snails or other hermits. Do you guys buy extra shells somewhere and, if so, where?

Sorry for all the newbie questions!!!

satyra
11-10-2011, 05:09 PM
i have extras for my hermits, i got them at the lfs, they sell extras for hermits. you can find them at various places sold as decorations too, as long as they are not treated with any chemicals they should be fine. as soon as i put the new shells in, they started switching back and forth between shells lol.

jello
11-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a few extras I might be able to part with. How big you needing?

Typical Tony
11-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Extra shells honestly won't stop them from killing snails, i bought extras from reefcleaners and they still went after my astraes

bigtoga
11-11-2011, 06:22 AM
I just don't know how to plan for having them. My family digs the crawling things more than the fish part of a reef tank so we want lots of snails, crabs, urchins and whatnot. If you can just go to any aquarium store and get the ones out of their "hermit crab shells that kids like" bowl, that works!

jello
11-11-2011, 06:58 AM
I don't think you can use those decorated shells because they are painted. A lot of times they will give you the empty shells in there salt tanks. But snails and reef hermits are always on the "need to pick up more" list because they die like all the time.

Sugar cheyne
11-11-2011, 12:00 PM
That's something I have wondered but never asked.

pope
11-11-2011, 01:27 PM
you can put any assortment of sizes you want in the tank. If the hermit wants the one the snail is in... the hermit gets the one the snail is in.

intriken
12-20-2011, 11:03 AM
For the tiny hermits i got a few from the lfs when buying snails and talked them into giving me some of the empties in the tank. For larger hermits I was surprised to find that Micheal's had a large selection, I would presume any hobby place probably has the same.

Craydaddy
12-25-2011, 09:57 PM
The painted shells are actually toxic to the crabs, unfortunately people buy them because they look cool and end up making their crabs suffer without even knowing.